Regular Starter

Default Munchak to interview for OL coach

Tomorrow, per McClain.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Pro Bowler

This would be a hell of a get, IMO.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 AM
All-Pro

Why would a man be willing to go from being an NFL HC to a positions coach in a matter of weeks ? OK, maybe he just wants to coach again at the individual player level and is tired of the hassle and red-tape and politics of being a HC in the league, but drop that far down the hierarchy. Then there's the pay cut.
Something about this report just doesn't add up ?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 AM
All-Pro

The first report I saw after he was fired said he would consider HC jobs and OL jobs. I guess he just doesn't want to call plays.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
All-Pro

Perhaps Munchak has Houston ties (besides being a former Oiler) and taking a position in Houston at a lower rung works out better for him than a higher position in some part of the country he doesn't want to live in. He can always leave the Texans if a better position opens up for him. This way, he's got a steady income and keeps his name alive in coaching circles.

Plus, a few guys (Alex Gibbs, Joe Bugel) had long careers mostly just as OL coaches. It happens.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Why would a man be willing to go from being an NFL HC to a positions coach in a matter of weeks ? OK, maybe he just wants to coach again at the individual player level and is tired of the hassle and red-tape and politics of being a HC in the league, but drop that far down the hierarchy. Then there's the pay cut.
Something about this report just doesn't add up ?
I saw a report he interviewed for the Penn State HC job (didn't get it), but I haven't heard his name being mentioned at all for any of the current NFL HC openings. Kind of hard taking a HC job if no one is offering one to you. With that in mind, he's probably better off staying active on someone's staff rather than sitting around waiting for another HC gig.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
All-Pro

I don't believe he has ever called plays and I don't know that he is qualified to do so. When you go from position coach to HC and then get fired, you usually either return to position coach or try to find a lesser HC job. If he wants to stay around the NFL, it will likely be as an OL guy. Maybe he can nab a fake "assistant HC offense" title for prestige purposes, but without the ability to call plays he is a position coach. Hopefully a great position coach with unofficial wisdom to offer our new HC.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Regular Starter

Yeah, I'd be surprised if he didn't get some kind of assistant head coach/senior offensive assistant/run game coordinator title, and he would probably get a bigger salary than the typical OL coach due to the experience he brings to the table as a former head coach. Tom Cable and Mike Tice are couple examples of guys who went from OL coach to head coach to a non-coordinator position.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM
All-Pro

I guess the cluster F*** that is Cleveland is keeping Munchak from committing to a job.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I guess the cluster F*** that is Cleveland is keeping Munchak from committing to a job.
He's the Steelers new oline coach.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 AM
All-Pro

What the hell, why can't we get Bruce Matthews to be our OLine coach ? Would having a brief stint here in the past disquality him as a BOB guy ?