IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 10-14-2020, 09:22 AM
All-Pro

Default How lucky are we BOB got fired?

If he hadn't we would have shipped out all of our remaining picks and Deshaun for Leveon Bell. There's no way he could have resisted a guy who is basically the cadillac version of David Johnson.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:02 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
If he hadn't we would have shipped out all of our remaining picks and Deshaun for Leveon Bell. There's no way he could have resisted a guy who is basically the cadillac version of David Johnson.
My idea of real luck re the Texans would be the McNairs putting the team on the market, but glad they finally decided to move on from O'Brien but wish they'd have done it before O'Brian made some of his "deals", especially the one with Arizona.
So Barrett who do you like as prospects to fill the HC and GM positions ?
Old 10-15-2020, 02:23 AM
All-Pro

Would you want McNair Jr. to sell the Texans to Mattress Mac?

I think the Falcons are lusting for O'Brien. I guess when you've sucked as badly as the Falcons, O'Brien's track record looks really good.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:18 AM
All-Pro

I would be thrilled to have Mattress Mac as the owner of the cities NFL franchise.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:55 AM
All-Pro

I suspect Mac doesn't have anywhere near the resources to buy the Texans. He's a successful furniture store owner but that not to say he could be worth hundreds of millions that way.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:38 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I suspect Mac doesn't have anywhere near the resources to buy the Texans. He's a successful furniture store owner but that not to say he could be worth hundreds of millions that way.
This is what I think also.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Probably have to be a billionaire to own an NFL team nowadays.

Forbes billionaires from Texas:
Rich Kinder (pipelines)
Tilman Fertitta (already owns Rockets)
Janice McNair (current owner)
One of the Duncans: Dannine Avare, Scott Duncan, Milane Frantz, Randa Williams (inherited from Dan Duncan, pipelines)
John Arnold (energy trader)
Dan Friedkin (Toyota distributor)
George Bishop (energy)
Jeffrey Hildebrand (energy)
Leslie Alexander (sold Rockets)
Leo Koguan (tech)
Jim Crane (already owns Astros)
Fayez Sarofim (finance)

Any football fans in there you want instead of the McNairs?
Old 10-17-2020, 12:39 AM
All-Pro

Don't forget Bob Brockman.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:27 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Probably have to be a billionaire to own an NFL team nowadays.

Forbes billionaires from Texas:
Rich Kinder (pipelines)
Tilman Fertitta (already owns Rockets)
Janice McNair (current owner)
One of the Duncans: Dannine Avare, Scott Duncan, Milane Frantz, Randa Williams (inherited from Dan Duncan, pipelines)
John Arnold (energy trader)
Dan Friedkin (Toyota distributor)
George Bishop (energy)
Jeffrey Hildebrand (energy)
Leslie Alexander (sold Rockets)
Leo Koguan (tech)
Jim Crane (already owns Astros)
Fayez Sarofim (finance)

Any football fans in there you want instead of the McNairs?
Ideally the owner would be a local, but of course not a requirement for NFL ownership, for example currently two Texas residents are absentee owners of NFL franchises in states beyond their own, the Chiefs and the Titans.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:47 AM
Regular Starter

FWIW, Sarofim is a Texans limited partner. Fertitta used to be but he must've sold out when he bought the Rockets. There is a Charles Duncan who is a limited partner but he's apparently not one of the billionaire Duncans (neither is Curtis, to my disappointment. Or Sandy).

I like the idea of bringing in Daryl Morey as GM, surrounding him with experienced football people, and letting him find market inefficiencies to exploit in building a team with limited cap space and draft picks. But I would be shocked to see the Texans try something unconventional like that. They're much more likely to do something like bringing in Dan Reeves as a consultant again.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:17 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I like the idea of bringing in Daryl Morey as GM, surrounding him with experienced football people, and letting him find market inefficiencies to exploit in building a team with limited cap space and draft picks. But I would be shocked to see the Texans try something unconventional like that. They're much more likely to do something like bringing in Dan Reeves as a consultant again.
Dude, they've already hired an international search firm, Korn Ferry, to lead the search. Which is the most Texans thing ever.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Big article about this guy in Friday's Chronicle. Seems the IRS wants to talk with him to the tune of $2B - largest [s]extortion[/s] suit ever against an individual.

--------------------------------------

I'd be open to Morey as GM. Unfortunately, he'd be a n00b to the NFL but I think he'd eventually be successful. I get the feeling whoever the Texans eventually select, that I will end up wishing they had chosen Morey...

Last edited by Arky; 10-17-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:44 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I used to work for him, prior to his buying Reynolds and Reynolds. I don't think he would be a good owner of the Texans
Old 10-18-2020, 03:21 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
FWIW, Sarofim is a Texans limited partner. Fertitta used to be but he must've sold out when he bought the Rockets. There is a Charles Duncan who is a limited partner but he's apparently not one of the billionaire Duncans (neither is Curtis, to my disappointment. Or Sandy).

I guess the hope is that after a long learning curve, Morey can come up with a creative way to lose in the NFL like he lost in the NBA?
Old 10-18-2020, 03:25 PM
All-Pro

...But Morey will have all the stats to convince you he made the right move. That's what the Moneyball types are all about. Ivy Leaguers learn that if they spit enough statistics at you, they can convince you that idiot moves are statistically the right call every time.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:35 PM
Administrator

I'm a huge fan of using stats to build rosters in baseball. The game is a series of one-on-one match-ups, and there seem to be an endless amount of predictive numbers.

I don't think this exists in football. Now maybe there is an analytical edge to be found - I kinda think Tex Schram was the Daryl Morey of his day - but since this edge is not strictly based on stats like it is in baseball, I really don't see a non-football guy being able to assume this role and being successful.

So count me out on Morey or somesuch on my NFL team. Find me the best, most organized scout around. I absolutely think there are market inefficiencies to be discovered in the NFL, but I think they are going to be far more varied and complex than in baseball. For example, in baseball, regardless of position, offensively the goals are the same - score runs: get on base, move runners, and maybe run fast. Same for 3B as it is for RF. In football, the positions have wildly different goals and skillsets needed to score points.