IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 10-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Regular Starter

Default Duane Brown update

Yesterday my friend told me that it was almost 100% that Duane would not play for the Texans this year (if ever).

This morning, he said there was "smoke" around Duane and he was pulling back his statement from yesterday.

All of a sudden, the Texans have signed Dorian Johnson off the Arizona practice squad and I get this update:

"G Dorian Johnson signed..

Duane Brown is crazy.. that's all"

Soooo.....yeah.....I'm thinking he's played his last game in a Texans uniform.

Edited to add - there are many inside the Org that are certain his wife is pushing the agenda. He had one foot in the door and now both are out.

Last edited by bikerack; 10-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Regular Starter

Did your buddy elaborate on what the agenda is? That's the weird part. I don't think anyone on either side has ever publicly said what he's after other than "more money."
Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Regular Starter

The only thing he has said is that it is starting to seem like it went from being business to personal (with his wife largely to blame for it).
Old 10-12-2017, 02:50 AM
Hall of Fame

I dunno, I thought he was at a point in his career where he's made enough money and he could simply take it or leave it. All the work, the previous injuries.......The holdout was simply a ploy to see if he could extract some more cash.

I say good on the Texans for not caving.... Pretty sure if he wants to continue his career, it won't be here...
Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM
All-Pro

FYI - Dorian Johnson is someone I wanted to draft in the second or third round last spring out of Pitt. A huge road grader type with RT potential.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update. It's just an all-around bummer of a situation. One thing that would be certain to me is that if Brown were to return, he would need time to get back to top form.

Brown's value going forward would be as trade value, something not to be understated given the Texans are especially light on picks in 2018. Plenty of OL hungry teams out there. Seahawks mentioned most often, but surely they aren't the only ones kicking the tires.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 PM
All-Pro

I am all for guys doing everything they can to get paid. I am especially for it at the end of their career. These guys have a short time to get paid, and the way the system works teams can cut and players can holdout. That's the balance of power.

But when holdouts stretch into the season the balance of power shifts. The player starts taking huge fines and passing up game checks. At this point Brown has lost so much money by sitting out, that he could get a raise and still come out behind.

Honestly, how many guys have ever missed games and come out ahead financially? Once you start giving away the money you already had you are letting business get personal and your agent is giving bad advice.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Once you start giving away the money you already had you are letting business get personal and your agent is giving bad advice.
Especially is Brown's de facto agent is his wife... and you know she is taking more than 3%.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:50 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Especially is Brown's de facto agent is his wife... and you know she is taking more than 3%.
Most likely she's going to end up taking 50%.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:32 AM
All-Pro

You are starting to see teams shed their unsigned or untradeable players. The 49ers released Navarro Bowman yesterday who was a stud LB until he was hit with some gruesome injuries.

Now that he's cut, any other team can sign him for the vet minimum if he's willing. Seems like LTs on the market can be traded for a fifth-round pick. Surely the Seahawks or the Broncos might be willing to take the chance on Brown if they can clear the cap space.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:28 PM
All-Pro

I always liked Brown. Hate to see it go this way.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Regular Starter

The latest is that Brown's team is still trying to force a trade...but if that doesn't go through, it is expected he will report the Monday after the bye week. Texans are going to request the 3 week roster exemption for him if he returns.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Hall of Fame

Good info. I'm for the trade, let's get a draft pick. Don't want a player that might half-ass it....
Old 10-17-2017, 04:51 AM
All-Pro

I do hope this gets resolved during the bye week, one way or another.

I guess Texans could use a good LT and Duane has been one of our best LT ever, so why not bring him back.

We have the cap space already.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 AM
All-Pro

John McClain on 610 radio reporting this morning that DB is in the house @ NRG.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 PM
All-Pro

So glad Brown is back.

I hope Texans treat him well and Duane helps the Texans offense.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM
All-Pro

Just like I said, holdouts that stretch into the season never help the player. He misses 6 game checks for almost $3 million, but in the end he has to come back for at least 6 games, or he doesn't get credit for the season.

I am all for players using leverage to get paid, but the way the system is setup, as soon as you reach regular season time you lose all leverage.

Congrats to Duane Brown's agent who cost him over $3 million and accomplished nothing.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:19 AM
All-Pro

Not only that, how often have we seen a player end a prolonged holdout, play like crap a couple of weeks and then miss the rest of the season due to injury because their body wasn't in "football shape"?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 PM
All-Pro

Duane is gone to Seattle.

The Texans landed cornerback Jeremy Lane, a 2018 fifth-round pick and a 2019 second-round selection, per the report.

For me it's disappointing but somewhat expected after Duane commented on McNair s comment.

I wish Duane well with his new team. Apparently some new deal agreed in principle to fit in Seattle's salary cap space.

Last edited by Nconroe; 10-30-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 PM
All-Pro

Great trade for Houston. A warm body CB who can't be worse than what we have. And a 5th and a 2nd. All for a guy who was going to do nothing but cause trouble and probably hold out again next year.

And I'm happy for Brown. He was very good for a long time and I'm glad I can remember that instead of the next 15 months of whining he would have done.