IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Other 31 Teams
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Pro Bowler

Default Bud Adams Has Passed

From the Chronic:
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...ud-adams-dies/

Bud Adams, the Houston Oilers owner who moved the franchise to Tennessee, has died in Houston this morning, a source told the San Antonio Express-News’ Brent Zwerneman.

The source said early indications are Adams’ death was of natural causes, but the source stressed the “early indications” aspect. More details to come.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
All-Pro

Adams did bring pro football to Houston and won two AFL titles.

I guess George Wilson of Buffalo becomes the last surviving member of the "Foolish Club" that started the AFL.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 PM
All-Pro

The ole boys from H-Town are dropping like dominoes lately. Of course while Bum was mostly well-liked, even beloved by many, Adams
was very controversial because he took the Oilers out of Houston to Tenn. Personally I never blamed him as much as the Dem in City Hall at the time, but
others blamed him exclusively and despised him for the Oilers exodus.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Evokes odd feelings, especially in light of the recent passing of Bum Phillips.

It will be interesting to see how history treats his life's impact as the decades move on. Obviously moving the franchise from Houston is his most damning gesture in the eyes of many, but his team's needs for a better stadium to compete is a fast-growing league were justifiable. Timing, delivery, working well with others... these were never things Bud did especially well. Our city's love affair with the Astrodome is still an issue.

I was quite young at the time Adams fired Phillips, so my perspective could be lacking, but I wonder how much everything would be different had he not fired Bum. Would Adams be as reviled? Might the stadium issue been less antagonistic between Adams and the city? Would the Oilers still be here? Or was Adam's caustic nature such that the events that transpired in the 80s and 90s were inevitable and would ultimately lead to Adams moving the franchise somewhere else?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Comments from Jeff Fisher:
Quote:
"You could call him and ask for $10 million to sign a key free agent because that’s the player that you need to get over the hump and he would not bat an eye,” Fisher said. “Then you could come back 20 minutes later and ask for him to sign a purchase order for laser pointers and he’ll take two months. That’s how he was. As long as you know that going in and understand that, things are OK.”

Fisher recalled a time when they were discussing the third pick in the 1995 draft. The team had already decided on Steve McNair and the Friday night before the draft Adams was distracted.

He was a huge art collector with an emphasis on Native American art.

“He was telling me about this doll,” Fisher said. “I was trying to tell him about the first and second pick and who we thought was going to go, he was more interested in this collectible doll that he got from Chief Sitting Bull some place after Custer’s last stand.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-ti...bers-bud-adams
Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM
All-Pro

I do remember watching Billy Canon and George Blanda when Oilers won their two AFL championships, playing Dallas Texans.

And moving into Astrodome.

Condolences to the Bud Adams family.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:19 AM
All-Pro

I dislike this man greatly, but my father, he and Bud knew each other well, and Bud gave to the city more than any of us will know.

And I think it's crap that Bud was not put into the HOF while he was alive. Total crap.

RIP Mr Adam. Thank you for moving the team so we could get Mr McNair. And now the General need to get him installed into the hall.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:37 PM
All-Pro

Wonder what's going to happen re the disposition of the Titans ? I'd guess that the Adams family (presumed heirs of BA's estate), have little interest in the team but I don't know ? I don't recall any Adams name besides Bud himself being involved with the ops of the Titans ? One thing almost certain is that they stay in Nashville.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Regular Starter

The family shouldn't have to sell the team because reportedly Bud set money aside to cover the substantial inheritance taxes. Bud had two daughters and a son. The son died years ago but he had a son who Bud had been grooming by having him work in various aspects of the team operations. The grandson is currently an administrative assistant in the front office and is only around 26 years old, so it would be a pretty big jump to being the big boss. The daughters and their families supposedly aren't interested in running the team, although one of his sons-in-law did work for the Oilers when they were in Houston.

I believe they are locked into their Nashville lease for some time.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
although one of his sons-in-law did work for the Oilers when they were in Houston.
IIRC, That son in law died in an auto accident years ago, he was the only family member that had shown an interest in the team. I don't see the family holding on to the team for the 26 year old grandson to play with.

I would think they sell the team.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Regular Starter

According to The Tennessean, Tommy Smith, Bud’s son-in-law, is the team’s new president and CEO (it must’ve been someone else who died in an auto accident, because he's the one who previously worked for the Oilers). Bud’s two daughters and the family of his deceased son each own a third of the team. His daughters will serve as co-chairwomen of the board of directors and the grandson mentioned above (Kenneth Adams IV) will also be on the board. Under NFL rules they will need to eventually select a single controlling owner.