IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Bowler

I think that we can all agree that that play should have never happened 3 times. Once, maybe, twice unlikely but three times...never.

I have not had the chance to look at all three TD's again because my Comcast DVR, for some odd reason, has had some digital static of some sort, making rewinding or fast forwarding pretty difficult.

However, no matter the case it should never have happened.

But, as it has been stated over and over again, a win is a win.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Regular Starter

I don't know if it was on the same play....or if we've even all been discussing the same one, but I haven't seen us in as much under fronts with Cushing jamming the TE right at the line as much as I thought I would this year. On one of the plays Cushing gave Davis a little push once he got off the line (still within the legal bump zone though), but if your not giving a hard jam at the line your not going to re-direct Davis very much like that.

It could be just because they seem to like moving Cushing around a little bit, or it could be that I just incorrectly assumed that was something we would see more of. I'm also willing to admit they could be doing it more than I am noticing as well. It's not the first time I've thought about this, but this is the first time a TE has made us pay for it so much.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Y

Ryans doesn't need a deep drop in quarters. The safeties are both in the middle of the field so he is playing underneath. He is not responsible for a route down the seem.

It falls %100 on Pollard if they are playing quarters. He cheated toward the sidelines for no reason. SF had no success outside in the passing game and Smith doesn't have the arm to really threaten the boundary anyways. Pollard should have played his coverage and we would have been fine.
It's just hard to assign where all the responsibilities/blame lay without knowing how Bush wants them to run the play. "Deep Drop" is relative, and we might be in another one of those cases where some meaning is lost on the internet. I don't know if Demeco is supposed to set up 5 yards or 7 yards deep(just pulling random numbers) on that play. So, what I really meant was a "deeper drop". I think ultimately Pollard takes the brunt of the blame, but it's possible that Demeco should have been a few steps deeper and a step or two to one side forcing Smith to make a much more difficult throw than he had. It's also possible that he did exactly what Bush's scheme called for in that case. We're on the same page though.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
It's just hard to assign where all the responsibilities/blame lay without knowing how Bush wants them to run the play. "Deep Drop" is relative, and we might be in another one of those cases where some meaning is lost on the internet. I don't know if Demeco is supposed to set up 5 yards or 7 yards deep(just pulling random numbers) on that play. So, what I really meant was a "deeper drop". I think ultimately Pollard takes the brunt of the blame, but it's possible that Demeco should have been a few steps deeper and a step or two to one side forcing Smith to make a much more difficult throw than he had. It's also possible that he did exactly what Bush's scheme called for in that case. We're on the same page though.
That is my point. Demeco may be able to drop deeper depending on what was in front of him and a number of other factors. But Pollard had one responsibility and that was the seam (his quarter). The TD was caught right where he was supposed to be. The right defense was called but improperly executed. And like I said, there is no reason to cheat outside with the 49ers QB and WRs. Their TE might be the fastest player on their offense. They never threatened us deep outside.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Kubiak discussed the play but he did not want to, McClain stay on him. And according to Kubiak.
Quote:
(on what happened on 49ers' second touchdown coverage-wise) "I'm trying to think of which one it was. We're in quarters. He's (LB DeMeco Ryans) got to go get some body on that kid—that guy's a heck of a player and as athletic a tight end as there is in the National Football League and if you let him run free, there's not many linebackers going to keep up with him so he's got to go get some body on him there, he's got to get some help from (S Bernard) Pollard there and that's just kind of what I'm talking about, the attention to detail, technique of playing that coverage."