IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 11-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default The Future of DeAndre Hopkins

So the video Arky posted at the end of the Chargers game thread does a clever job pointing out that DeAndre Hopkins, who held out in training camp, may be looking for a way out. Hopkins statistically has had a rough season with Brock Osweiler under center, strangely worse than last year's merry-go-round of Brian Hoyer-Ryan Mallett-Brandon Weedon.

The Texans though have already exercised the 5th year option on his rookie contract, keeping him under contract through 2017. It is a balloon payment, boosting his base from $1M this year to over $7.9M next. Even still, that is not an unreasonable amount for a receiver with Hopkins' talent.

So Hopkins ended that camp holdout rather quickly... abandoning his desire to get a long-term contract, one he wasn't going to get anyway no matter how long the holdout. But it does suggest Hopkins won't be here for the long-term like his predecessor, Andre Johnson.

Johnson spent the bulk of his career catching passes from David Carr and Matt Schaub, leaving the rest of football to wonder what might have been had he played with a better QB. Of course Hopkins might want to go elsewhere since Houston is still the land of suck at the QB position. If the Texans realize this, I wonder whether they would consider trading Hopkins before the draft. Hopkins would be a desirable target for another team even at just one year for $7M (and the hope to extend).

So... what would you do? Keep Hop for $8M and at least one more season as a Texan? Or test the trade market and let him go to the highest bidder?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:41 PM
Pro Bowler

I'd trade him for good value. Brock sucks, but I don't think all of his suckage is tied to him. Doesn't seem like Hopkins has been the same WR this year. He is not creating separation, and is getting beat down off the line. He makes some impressive catches every now and then, but so does 60% of the other WR's in the league. Others usually run away from DB's when they do it, he does not have the speed for that.

You give me a 1 and a 3 and I'll do that 8 days/week. Give me a 1 and I'll think long and hard about it.

Despite some circus catches he makes, I don't see giving Hopkins $15MM/yr with Fuller, Miller, and Strong in the background.

With our QB situation for the next 3-4 years, not sure it really matters who is at WR.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Yeah, the #1 thing is for Dhop to be happy and at 100%. He seems a little "sluggish" this year for what ever reason....... It was not too long ago he was saying that Brock was a "great QB" so I wonder where he's at on that, now. I believe he was here when AJ was going thru his bummed out period and that probably doesn't help anything....

When he's is on, he's good, one of the best. But if he's not happy, let him go (oh, oh, oh, oh mama mia, mama mia)....
Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Pro Bowler

IMO, you don't trade an affordable, known Pro-Bowl caliber commodity for an unknown commodity (draft pick) - especially with this team's draft history. Despite Hopkins' struggles this year (and I do think 95% of it is due to our POS QB), none of the other WRs on this team has shown me anything to think they can play at the level Hopkins can. Fix the QB (and OL) and you fix Hopkins.

With that being said, the only way I trade Hopkins is if there's a top franchise-altering QB in the draft or on someone's roster that I could use Hopkins as a bargaining chip for. Problem is, I don't see any QB's out there on a roster or on the horizon I would want do that with. At least not this year. I'd rather give up a #3 or something to NE for Garrapolo or to OAK for Cook and hope like hell you hit on something. But we know that won't happen because we're tied into Big Bird for another year and heaven forbid McNut look like he has egg on his face - even though he already does with the Big Bird signing. And in reality, is Garrapolo or Cook any better of an option or sure thing than just tossing Savage out there and seeing what the hell you have (for once!!!)?

God this franchise is so frustrating. It's like football purgatory.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Pro Bowler

To be perfectly honest, I think looking at trading JJ would make more sense for the long-term goals of the franchise. I'm not saying I would do it, but there are multiple reasons to at least consider it.

1. His back issues
2. His contract if the back issues are serious and potentially career threatening
3. Some team would probably pay big for him in player/pick (despite the back issues)
4. We're about to run into the issue of having to pay or not pay Clowney
5. Getting rid of JJ's contract opens a lot of money for other positions/FAs

I probably don't trade JJ, but trading him makes more sense to me than trading Hopkins right now.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
To be perfectly honest, I think looking at trading JJ would make more sense for the long-term goals of the franchise. I'm not saying I would do it, but there are multiple reasons to at least consider it.

1. His back issues
2. His contract if the back issues are serious and potentially career threatening
3. Some team would probably pay big for him in player/pick (despite the back issues)
4. We're about to run into the issue of having to pay or not pay Clowney
5. Getting rid of JJ's contract opens a lot of money for other positions/FAs

I probably don't trade JJ, but trading him makes more sense to me than trading Hopkins right now.
Just as with trading Stocks & Bonds and Real Estate, timing is everything of course when trading NFL players and I think we are well passed the most opportunistic time period to trade JJ as he's now damaged goods.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:08 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Just as with trading Stocks & Bonds and Real Estate, timing is everything of course when trading NFL players and I think we are well passed the most opportunistic time period to trade JJ as he's now damaged goods.
I don't think that at all. I think teams like Green Bay, DAL, AZ, NE, SEA - multiple teams - would offer a player and/or picks and gamble on JJ.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:21 AM
All-Pro

I think J.J. has to be back on the field before any team takes that chance unless you decide to take one fragile big contract player for him (say, Tony Romo).

The old baseball adage is that you don't want to overpay for a closer because too many pitchers can do the job well enough if given the chance. I think we're reaching a phase when you don't want to overpay for a WR because it seems like every year another six-to-eight guys at 6-2 or above and monster college stats come out of the draft so you can easily find one among the top 50 selections. It's become a glamor position and a lot of guys with NBA-type height and track-star speed are choosing to play football instead of basketball or some other sport.

IOW, Hopkins becomes less special when you notice how many other teams have young, talented wide receivers that are close to the same efficiency. Even if that receiver is slightly less skilled than D-Hop, paying him 1/4th of D-Hop's salary does make sense cap-wise, particularly when your QB is so ordinary.

That's the difference between D-Hop and J.J. Watt. When healthy, Watt is in the stratosphere of players at his position - a truly rare find. D-Hop, at his best, is maybe a top-10 receiver and you can list off a handful of WRs that are clearly better.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Zero chance imo Hopkins nets even a late first. I'd send him off for a second rounder... only because I doubt he extends his contract to play out his prime in Houston. So, either get Hop for another year and he walks away with merely a chance at a compensatory pick in return, or lose his last year and get a 2nd rounder.

Another year of maturity (and health?) and Braxton Miller can probably suitably replace Hopkins as a possession receiver, and the team already invested a first rounder in a promising rookie in Fuller. If the Texans had a QB who moved the ball around and could read his progressions, then sure having the depth at WR would pay dividends. It won't with whomever is under center in 2017.

Hopkins is nowhere near the talent that Andre Johnson was imo, too. I didn't create this thread to trash on Hop because I do think he is a really good player, but he just isn't in the same stratosphere as Johnson was at the same point in his career, no matter what the stats indicate.