IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 01-29-2022, 02:54 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Looks like Gannon is back for round 2 as well.
This is actually Gannon's third meeting with the team...but the first one wasn't called an interview.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I have zero opinion on McCown as a coach, but if we hire a guy who's never coached before I'll just pick another team.
McCown has 20 years of playing experience and is considered by media mouthpieces to be something of an acting QB coach... but I cannot think of one McCown protege worth touting.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:08 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
This is actually Gannon's third meeting with the team...but the first one wasn't called an interview.
Ya, I think he might be worth the risk. Since they seem dead-set on giving McCown a job, maybe they can bring him in as QB coach or OC. Whatever they do, get ready for another rookie HC.

Eagles DC Jonathan Gannon appears to be the leading candidate for Texans' head coaching job.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Reports have Brian Flores in town to interview in person for the first time. First interview with Flores was a video call apparently on 1/14/22.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:45 PM
All-Pro

I am guessing Flores isn't getting this job (good for him) since he just announced he is suing the NFL for racist hiring practices. If we were honestly considering hiring him I can't imagine he'd be bringing this suit. Looks like we are going to pass on him because he's too qualified and we prefer guys who have never been a coordinator (or ideally have never coached ever).
Old 02-01-2022, 03:55 PM
All-Pro

OR, it'll come to pass that he's the only guy who'll accept the job.

I like this Gannon motherscratcher, by the way. He does not appear to be a total idiot by any stretch. I hope he's devout. He already has the head coaching experience required (none).
Old 02-01-2022, 05:25 PM
Administrator

I find it captivating that Flores noted in his suit focusing on the league's racist hiring practices that the Dolphins' owner in 2019 was incentivizing him with $100k bonuses to lose games. Kinda feels like how the Texans might have felt about David Culley and him getting the ragtag underachievers to beat the front-running Titans this season.

There were so many shady player suspensions just prior to a gametime in 2021, and Caserio said before the season started that success would not be measured by wins.

Anyhoo, would seem that Flores is out of the running, leaving Gannon, McCown, and presumably O'Connell still in the mix to be the next head coach of the Texans.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Cross off O'Connell. He is going to the Vikings.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I find it captivating that Flores noted in his suit focusing on the league's racist hiring practices that the Dolphins' owner in 2019 was incentivizing him with $100k bonuses to lose games. Kinda feels like how the Texans might have felt about David Culley and him getting the ragtag underachievers to beat the front-running Titans this season.

There were so many shady player suspensions just prior to a gametime in 2021, and Caserio said before the season started that success would not be measured by wins.

Anyhoo, would seem that Flores is out of the running, leaving Gannon, McCown, and presumably O'Connell still in the mix to be the next head coach of the Texans.
If that part is true, it just means the Dolphins owner is stupid. You can't be that obvious even in house. Hugh Jackson made similar claims today but said it was a coded message where the Browns owner (who knows about skirting rules and laws) told him there were bonuses for a younger team and things like that.

The funny part of this whole sad affair is there is not one part of it that raises to the level of mildly surprising. Obviously teams lose on purpose. Obviously the Texans paid a black coach to oversee the losing before hiring another coach to have a chance to win. Obviously NFL owners are racially motivated in their hiring practices. I just doubt any of that results in a legal victory for Flores. But it will likely result in a boardroom victory for black coaches. The NFL will have to actually change their practices now that it's big news.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
The NFL will have to actually change their practices now that it's big news.
I'm skeptical how much will actually change though. They changed their hiring practices around the time of the introduction of the Rooney Rule when maybe just Tony Dungy was about the only black head coach. And for whatever a sham that rule has since become, there was an increase in the hiring of minorities for awhile in the years since. It just seems to be at its lowest point now than it has been in a couple decades.

I'm not sure how the league adds more teeth to the rule, probably in how it just enforces/penalizes the existing rule. But the teams and owners are going to do what they're going to do.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:49 PM
All-Pro

I like how they named the Rooney Rule after a white guy.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:27 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm skeptical how much will actually change though. They changed their hiring practices around the time of the introduction of the Rooney Rule when maybe just Tony Dungy was about the only black head coach. And for whatever a sham that rule has since become, there was an increase in the hiring of minorities for awhile in the years since. It just seems to be at its lowest point now than it has been in a couple decades.

I'm not sure how the league adds more teeth to the rule, probably in how it just enforces/penalizes the existing rule. But the teams and owners are going to do what they're going to do.
I don't think any rule will change things. But if the bad press hits the bottom line, or even threatens to, I wouldn't be shocked if owners just decide in a backroom that 'X' number of them just need to go hire black coaches to remove the media eyes. In the end this is just 32 rich guys who do get together and decide what happens more than any rule does. If those guys just decide to hire some black coaches it all changes without rules.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:42 AM
All-Pro

Denver Broncos announce they're up for sale, ending 38 years of ownership by Bowlen family
Will Oprah or another Black billionaire lead a group to become the first black majority owned NFL franchise ?
Old 02-04-2022, 12:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Denver Broncos announce they're up for sale, ending 38 years of ownership by Bowlen family
Will Oprah or another Black billionaire lead a group to become the first black majority owned NFL franchise ?
NFL would jump all over that right now.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Gannon no longer a candidate, neither is McCown. Apparently the Flores is lava, too.

Heyyyyy Lovie... buddy... wanna head coach?

It's as if the leadership at the Texans has no direction. Hopefully the team won't give Lovie another four-year contract for when they let him go next January.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:34 PM
Regular Starter

My friend sent me this message...

"Caserio wanted a younger head coach but struck out. On to plan D"

Also, sounds like Pep is in line for OC job unless he decides he wants to move on. JAX has put in a request to interview him. Pep's son playing at Pearland HS may keep him from leaving.

(this is me speculating) - If I were Lovie/Caserio, I would try to get Flores to come in as a DC since he isn't going to be a HC this year. If someone hires him away next year, the Texans would get draft comp.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:55 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Gannon no longer a candidate, neither is McCown. Apparently the Flores is lava, too.

Heyyyyy Lovie... buddy... wanna head coach?

It's as if the leadership at the Texans has no direction. Hopefully the team won't give Lovie another four-year contract for when they let him go next January.
Yep. Firing a placeholder coach to hire another placeholder coach seems odd. Especially when you fired Culley late. Why pull the trigger on that firing if you didn't have a guy in mind already? If you did have a guy then how did that fall apart? How does it cost you $30+ million to employ two guys nobody wanted as head coach?

But honestly I'm happy for the decent candidates who didn't end up here. This place is a dumpster fire that will remain so as long as Cal is 'in charge'.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:17 PM
Regular Starter

Last minute update.

Cal said no to Flores b/c of lawsuit. Nick still trying to talk him into it. If he can't, Lovie will be the hire.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Congrats Lovie.

Watching the sausage made is never a good look. Had the Texans let Culley go in order to promote their associate head coach in Lovie, there would have been far less consternation.

Or, what if the Texans had acted more quickly to extend an offer to Flores? Might the league been able to avoid his lawsuit if the Texans completed the interview process in a more expeditious manner?
Old 02-07-2022, 04:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Congrats Lovie.

Watching the sausage made is never a good look. Had the Texans let Culley go in order to promote their associate head coach in Lovie, there would have been far less consternation.

Or, what if the Texans had acted more quickly to extend an offer to Flores? Might the league been able to avoid his lawsuit if the Texans completed the interview process in a more expeditious manner?
The number of outcomes that would be changed by the Texans operating like a professional football team is staggering.