IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
All-Pro

Default Kubiak Show on 610

Somebody called and asked if we could continue using the 3-TE sets. Perhaps 10 times per game. Glad to see somebody else getting on the bandwagon.

http://player.play.it/player/player....nestat=kilt-am
Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Somebody called and asked if we could continue using the 3-TE sets. Perhaps 10 times per game. Glad to see somebody else getting on the bandwagon.

http://player.play.it/player/player....nestat=kilt-am
I dunno but didn't Rich Lord say that caller was some guy named Roy ?
But I liked Kubiaks story about the fan that paid a coach to run the play the fan drew up, and the coach took the money and ran the play. Unfortunately Kubiak wouldn't reveal the coachs name.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
All-Pro

If I'd been the one to call in, I wouldn't have mentioned it. I just thought it was interesting that 2 of the TD's we scored came from the 3-TE formation. The pitch to Slaton inside the 5-yard line and the 42-yard pass to Owen Daniels.

The Dolphins run the Wildcat about 7 times per game. I'd like to see the 3-TE formation on the field about 10 times per game.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM
All-Pro

Yep, and I think he said in second half they didn't let up on offense or defense either. just that some guys didn't execute properly on offense, motion penalties, foolish penalties, so on, and were out of position on those passes to TE Davis for TD's on SF side of things. so, perhaps it is correctable before we get to Buffalo.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Yep, and I think he said in second half they didn't let up on offense or defense either. just that some guys didn't execute properly on offense, motion penalties, foolish penalties, so on, and were out of position on those passes to TE Davis for TD's on SF side of things. so, perhaps it is correctable before we get to Buffalo.
From what I saw, it looked as though Demeco was covering underneath while Pollard was over the top. However Pollard kept drifting to Reeves rather than helping over Vernon Davis.

The plan was simple...beat Reeves on several short patterns...force Pollard to help over the top...which then leaves Demeco 1-on-1 with Vernon Davis. Come on vDavis runs a 4.4 - 40.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Veteran Depth

Why would allowing completions on short patterns force safety help over the top?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
Disagree! Frank Bush started going to the prevent with the safeties deep to keep the long ball from happening. So what happens, 3 long balls to the TE!
What Kubiak says ain't always what Kubiak really feels.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Disagree! Frank Bush started going to the prevent with the safeties deep to keep the long ball from happening. So what happens, 3 long balls to the TE!
Safeties deep is not a prevent defense. I think we did get conservative, and maybe that had something to do with Smith being a little more mobile. I kind of doubt that though. I think it was more along the lines of we had a big lead and tried to play it safe. We were not in a prevent defense...at least not what I consider a prevent anyway. You will see two deep safeties a good percentage of the time from most any NFL team on just about every down/distance/game situation there is.

I'm of the mind that you don't let up until the other team has given in, and most teams never really give in until late in the fourth quarter when there is just no chance. I hope Kubiak learns his lesson from this game and next time he has a team down, he just steps on their throat instead of ggiving them a chance to get back up....and I mean that figuratively, not in any kind of literal, Albert Haynseworthian, face stomping sense.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Pro Bowler

We were dropping off the LB's in coverage. Whatever you want to call it we went stale. We quit gettin' after the QB, and it seemed Schaub stayed with the same basic offense as the first half. No adjustments, seemed like. But still..... a win is a win.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Did you hear him ask John McClain if he was secondary expert now? Why because John for once understood that if you are playing quarters, then it's both the LB Ryans, and safety Pollards fault. Ryan should have been trying to force Davis to the outside, and Pollard was cheating to the outside of his quarter. Davis ran right between the two guys quarters like he is supposed to. Had either guy done their jobs better then the outcome most likely changes.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
We were dropping off the LB's in coverage. Whatever you want to call it we went stale. We quit gettin' after the QB, and it seemed Schaub stayed with the same basic offense as the first half. No adjustments, seemed like. But still..... a win is a win.
NBT the more detail you give the worse you hurt your case. You are not a coach or a scout and it shows, but you are a fan with an opinion and that is ok. Stay with the opinions, ie IMO...,

During most of the game we played 4 man rush with a mixture of zones. We attacked the run, playing on their side of the line of scrimmage for most of the 1st half. In the 2nd half we played flat, and the offense got complacent.

Nothing more than Mike Shanahan Football.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
Why would allowing completions on short patterns force safety help over the top?
That is actually a good question. The purpose behind the comment was that there was no reason for Pollard to help over the top of Reeves. Although I do understand his reasoning. Reeves had been beaten on several occasions. Maybe he thought that Reeves would need help with tackling.

However, he was inadvertently leaving the seam vulnerable. After the 1st TD it was clear that Pollard or Any safety should have been helping out over VDavis.

The Texans were running a two deep zone (as if either Bruce or Crabtree had breakaway speed) which in turn leaves the seam vulnerable. That coupled with no pressure equals 3 TDs.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:17 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post

The Texans were running a two deep zone (as if either Bruce or Crabtree had breakaway speed) which in turn leaves the seam vulnerable. That coupled with no pressure equals 3 TDs.
Funny Kubiak said they were in quarters, which is 4 deep.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Yep.......
Old 10-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Maybe that's what he wanted run. However, that is not what they were doing. Quarters covers all four areas deep. Reeves was playing extremely too tight to be playing quarters. Unless this was some sort of (hybrid quarter) maybe man quarter, IDK. What I do know was that if they were indeed running quarters VDavis would not have been NAKED up the seam.

Maybe they called quarters and Pollard decided to do something else. What I do know is that there were only two deep at that time. And both were outta position. Demeco was the closest Texan to VDavis.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
OK, I ain't a coach ( we could argue about the scout, as in draft talent), but I saw what I saw, and Kubiak doesn't always do what he says. So maybe I stand halfway corrected on this one PK.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post
Maybe that's what he wanted run. However, that is not what they were doing. Quarters covers all four areas deep. Reeves was playing extremely too tight to be playing quarters.
Just because the play call is quarters doesn't mean that the CB's turn and sprint to their deep quarter regardless of what the play call is. With no other threats to his area of responsibility Reeve's stayed with the threat underneath (maybe incorrectly). I'm going to go ahead and trust what the head coach says as far as the play they were supposed to be running. It appears that Pollard cheated for some unknown reason and perhaps Demeco didn't get deep enough in his drop, but again I don't know what his responsibilities were on that play.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Just because the play call is quarters doesn't mean that the CB's turn and sprint to their deep quarter regardless of what the play call is. With no other threats to his area of responsibility Reeve's stayed with the threat underneath (maybe incorrectly). I'm going to go ahead and trust what the head coach says as far as the play they were supposed to be running. It appears that Pollard cheated for some unknown reason and perhaps Demeco didn't get deep enough in his drop, but again I don't know what his responsibilities were on that play.
You are correct here.

Reeves has quarter responsibility. That means his quarter of the field from back to front. If there is nothing in Back then he plays accordingly. Especially against a team like the 49ers who don't have any speed on the outside.

Ryans doesn't need a deep drop in quarters. The safeties are both in the middle of the field so he is playing underneath. He is not responsible for a route down the seem.

It falls %100 on Pollard if they are playing quarters. He cheated toward the sidelines for no reason. SF had no success outside in the passing game and Smith doesn't have the arm to really threaten the boundary anyways. Pollard should have played his coverage and we would have been fine.

Of course it happened 3Xs and I don't know if Kubiak said that was the coverage all three times. So it is very possible that the blame can be spread around all over for the 3 TDs.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
OK, I ain't a coach ( we could argue about the scout, as in draft talent), but I saw what I saw, and Kubiak doesn't always do what he says. So maybe I stand halfway corrected on this one PK.
I thought I gave you credit for being half right? Everybody has an opinion, and opinions are what brings all of us to these boards.

NBT your opinion is one I like to read, we do not always agree, but I respect your opinions. So I apologize if I crossed a line.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Demeco was supposed to force the TE to a more outside path, but if you do not hit Davis at the line, he is gone from any LB in the league. And yes Pollard was cheated to the outside, much more than he should have been. Both players made small mistakes which cost the team.