IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The NFL Draft

Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 PM
Regular Starter

Dillard was going to be the pick - they never expected him to be close to 23. But there are some in the Org that think Howard will eventually be better.

Howard wouldn't have lasted until their picks in the 2nd.

Taylor off the board (for a 1st anyway) due to knee issues
Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzwood View Post
They take the 50th overall player when the 10th overall player was still available.
The Texans could still trade up from their second round pick.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:22 PM
All-Pro

According to AL.com, Howard was a high school quarterback who then switched to tight end when arriving at Alabama State. Then he outgrew that position to become an offensive tackle - 6-5, 322lbs! That tells me two things - he must have a lot of quickness to have QB and TE skills under that body and secondly, he'll be dead by the time he's 25 if he keeps adding weight that fast. Better hire someone to keep him away from the barbecue joints, fried chicken shacks and mexican food places or he's going to become Un Madre Grande.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:27 PM
All-Pro

So are we going to start the the fire the GM thread?
Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 PM
Regular Starter

After a little research, sounds like some teams believe Taylor has a miniscus tear, and possibly back issues. Honestly I never researched him much because I figured he’d be long gone by the time we pick, most mocks had Taylor going in the 7-15 range. Hard to know what’s true and what’s bs.

That being said, I still would have preferred Ford, Little, or Risner over Howard.

Hopefully he turns into a HOF.

Props to bikerack for calling it.

The Raiders are absolutely killing it, all great picks.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Round 1 results:

1 Arizona Cardinals Kyler Murray QB Oklahoma
2 San Francisco 49ers Nick Bosa DE Ohio State
3 New York Jets Quinnen Williams DT Alabama
4 Oakland Raiders Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson
5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Devin White LB LSU
6 New York Giants Daniel Jones QB Duke
7 Jacksonville Jaguars Josh Allen DE/LBKentucky
8 Detroit Lions T.J. Hockenson TE Iowa
9 Buffalo Bills Ed Oliver DT Houston
10 Pittsburgh Steelers Devin Bush LB Michigan
11 Cincinnati Bengals Jonah Williams OT Alabama
12 Green Bay Packers Rashan Gary DE Michigan
13 Miami Dolphins Christian Wilkins DT Clemson
14 Atlanta Falcons Chris Lindstrom OG Boston College
15 Washington Redskins Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
16 Carolina Panthers Brian Burns DE Florida State
17 New York Giants Dexter Lawrence DT Clemson
18 Minnesota Vikings Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
19 Tennessee Titans Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi State
20 Denver Broncos Noah Fant TE Iowa
21 Green Bay Packers Darnell Savage Jr S Maryland
22 Philadelphia Eagles Andre Dillard OT Washington State
23 Houston Texans Tytus Howard OT Alabama State
24 Oakland Raiders Josh Jacobs RB Alabama
25 Baltimore Ravens Marquise Brown WR Oklahoma
26 Indianapolis Colts Montez Sweat DE Mississippi State
27 Oakland Raiders Johnathan Abram S Mississippi State
28 Los Angeles Chargers Jerry Tillery DT Notre Dame
29 Seattle Seahawks L.J. Collier DE TCU
30 New York Giants Deandre Baker CB Georgia
31 Atlanta Falcons Kaleb McGary OT Washington
32 New England Patriots N'Keal Harry WR Arizona State

Eh, we didn't know if Duane Brown was going to be any good way back when, so I'm gonna give Howard a chance.... But man, drafting bustos in the 1st round will get you canned fast...

Chuck: I have some questions for you re: your ex-patness. Nothing too probing, I hope. I am toying with the idea of a move to Puerto Rico - wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions via PM...
Old 04-26-2019, 01:12 AM
All-Pro

Arky, hit me up, dude, of course.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:28 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
Dillard was going to be the pick - they never expected him to be close to 23. But there are some in the Org that think Howard will eventually be better.

Howard wouldn't have lasted until their picks in the 2nd.

Taylor off the board (for a 1st anyway) due to knee issues
Yes that's exactly what happened because by the time the Texans pick @ 53 no left tackles would be left, probably not even Greg Little who the Texans along with everybody has cooled off on in recent months.
Another thing is that Jawaan Taylor and Cody Ford are both right tackles.
Lots of folks will question this pick just like the NY Giants drafting a second-round rated QB with the 6th overall pick in the Draft will be severely second guessed.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Regular Starter

Apparently there was no viable trade up or down scenario. Up was going to cost too much...and down was going to be too far down for their comfort. The Philly-Balt trade had been agreed upon for a while if Dillard and Brown were still there.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:55 AM
All-Pro

I have no problem with a guy going "too early". Too early is based on meaningless mock drafts and amateur scouts. You draft the guy you want when you can.

I guarantee that a year from now there will be guys picked in the 100s that are more valuable than half of the first round picks. After all, Philip Lindsay was undrafted just last year. If Denver had drafted him in the 3rd a year ago it would have been a huge reach based on mock drafts but would be a wonderful 3rd round pick with a year of hindsight. A GM has to get his guys regardless of groupthink.

So I care if they got the draft pick right, but I have no care if they got good theoretical draft board value.

And I have no idea if they got the pick right. I've never watched an Alabama St. football game. Maybe some of you guys who regularly watch Alabama St can weigh in on how he played for them.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:50 PM
All-Pro

I think the comparison to Duane Brown is accurate. Taking Brown at #25 was thought to be a reach and the Texans responded by saying he was the last LT on their board who could adapt to the zone blocking scheme in a WCO plan.

Howard provides size. He's bigger than Dillard and should be a RT or RG even if he washes out at LT.

No panic button, just surprise at the folks they passed over to take him.

BTW, it should be noted that I filed for retirement this month and have plans to move to Panama sometime in August. I've been getting together the necessary paperwork to apply for a pensionado visa down there. Hoping to get together with Chuck but I'm going to live a considerable distance from Panama City. Despite our feuding online, he's been a great help in planning this change and I greatly appreciate his input.

(Keith, if this announcement becomes a discussion, feel free to spin it off to another thread.)
Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
BTW, it should be noted that I filed for retirement this month and have plans to move to Panama sometime in August. I've been getting together the necessary paperwork to apply for a pensionado visa down there. Hoping to get together with Chuck but I'm going to live a considerable distance from Panama City. Despite our feuding online, he's been a great help in planning this change and I greatly appreciate his input.

(Keith, if this announcement becomes a discussion, feel free to spin it off to another thread.)
Congrats! I wish you the happiest of retirements!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Bob View Post
I think the comparison to Duane Brown is accurate. Taking Brown at #25 was thought to be a reach and the Texans responded by saying he was the last LT on their board who could adapt to the zone blocking scheme in a WCO plan.

Howard provides size. He's bigger than Dillard and should be a RT or RG even if he washes out at LT.

No panic button, just surprise at the folks they passed over to take him.

I think you and Chuck should consider moving in together and selling it as a reality TV style odd couple. All the best arguing is done on TV these days.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:48 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I think you and Chuck should consider moving in together and selling it as a reality TV style odd couple. All the best arguing is done on TV these days.
I'll be devoting my time to teaching Panamanians how to throw footballs lefthanded (j/k)

"No. Use your hands. Your hands. Su manos. Pick it up. Don't hold it above your head..."
Old 04-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Awesome Bob. Keep us posted on progress and any non-OSHA sights you come across!
Old 04-26-2019, 02:43 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
That would be great except 80% of my dialogue would be one long bleep.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:56 PM
All-Pro

Also, I thought the best arguing these days happens on Twitter.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:22 PM
All-Pro

Congratulations Bob!
Old 04-27-2019, 08:39 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerack View Post
Apparently there was no viable trade up or down scenario. Up was going to cost too much...and down was going to be too far down for their comfort. The Philly-Balt trade had been agreed upon for a while if Dillard and Brown were still there.
Stories going around that the Ravens offered Gain the opportunity to outbid Philly with his third-round pick but Gaine chose to hang tough stay at 23, and retain his third rounder and take Howard.
I wouldn't be surprised if Howard is a superior OT to Dillard over the long-term
but short-term, well Watson had better buckle it up again in 2019.
Howard did play both LT & RT because Bama-State had a right-handed QB & also a lefty at QB sometimes.