IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking heads say we need a new #2 WR. So who do you think it could, or should be?
Santonio Holmes 4 57.14%
Mike Sims-Walker 1 14.29%
Santana Moss 0 0%
Terrell Owens 0 0%
Chad Ochocinco 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Vote for a new #2 WR

The bleacher report was saying that the Texans had the leading rusher last year, but were only #5 in rushing. Schaub and the WR's were #4 in pass receptions, but Jacoby and Walter had fewer receiving yards than did Arian Foster. JJ is a free agent, and not likely to return. Walter's yards receiving fell off last year, making AJ's job a lot tougher even though he had 1200+ yards receiving. Talking heads say we need a new #2 WR. So who do you think it could, or should be? Here's my poll:

1) Santonio Holmes - perfect #2
2) Mike Sims-Wallace
3) Santana Moss
4) Terrell Owens - Ugghhh!
5) Ocho Cinco
Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 AM
All-Pro

#6 Jacoby Jones is my choice. I think Kubiak will want him back.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM
All-Pro

Does NOLA need WRs ? You know JJ would like to play for his hometown ? I'm confidant he'll go there or elsewhere besides Houston if he gets FA status with the new CBA.
My choice for our #2 WR would be Dorin Dickerson. Maybe the second-year Pitt guy could be the surprise offensive starter of 2011 ?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 AM
All-Pro

Where's Plaxico???
Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Pro Bowler

From that list I'd go Holmes, then Moss. We need some speed out there at #2, IMO. Although, they'll probably settle with what they have or overpay for someone like Braylon Edwards.

EDIT: I'd also be interested in Steve Smith if he's healthy. No way they go for TO or Stinko.

Last edited by popanot; 06-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
All-Pro

Not sure I see any of that list as an upgrade, seen them all drop balls and be a media hog.

I'd likely keep who we have now, fwiw.

like being in top 5 in running and passing is a problem?

I'd keep the consistency.

maybe try out Jacoby at 2 bur Walters does a lot of good things too.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Where's Plaxico???
I like Plaxico as an option, he'd be cheap and looking to have a breakout season, plus our tallest receiver is AJ.

If I had to pick one from the bunch, Moss. He's AJ's BFF.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popanot View Post
From that list I'd go Holmes, then Moss. We need some speed out there at #2, IMO. Although, they'll probably settle with what they have or overpay for someone like Braylon Edwards.

EDIT: I'd also be interested in Steve Smith if he's healthy. No way they go for TO or Stinko.
Swapping JJ for Braylon Edwards would be a very Texan thing to do. I think you may have nailed this one.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Where's Plaxico???
That was my thought. Just out of the Big House, he can be signed cheap. He has size to be a possession receiver and can cross up defenders and go deep often enough to demand attention.

Besides, his crime in New York (gun possession) is actually a plus around much of Texas. He can take his piece around most places here and nobody will give a crap about it.

I want JJ back too if possible as the slot man and the injury sub for the other two.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Pro Bowler

Will McNair allow an ex-con? That's why I didn't put Burress in my poll.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Veteran Depth

The talking heads - as per usual - don't know what the **************** they're talking about. I vote none of the above. We should begin grooming potential future top receivers (I really like Dorrin Dickerson, but we should be grooming another in case) because Walter is 29 and Jones has never been consistent, but I see no need to bring in a veteran compliment. Spending resources to fix something that's not broken is crazy given the state of our secondary and the need to lock up our own (like Mario and Vonta).
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmg View Post
The talking heads - as per usual - don't know what the **************** they're talking about. I vote none of the above. We should begin grooming potential future top receivers (I really like Dorrin Dickerson, but we should be grooming another in case) because Walter is 29 and Jones has never been consistent, but I see no need to bring in a veteran compliment. Spending resources to fix something that's not broken is crazy given the state of our secondary and the need to lock up our own (like Mario and Vonta).
I'll second that view of what to fix this offseason - defense, secondary.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmg View Post
We should begin grooming potential future top receivers (I really like Dorrin Dickerson, but we should be grooming another in case)
I agree that it is definitely time to start grooming a AJ replacement (for retirement, not removal; and no I am not implying that he is on the decline) This has been an idea overlooked for a long time.

However, I do agree that we need a legitimate #2. No one on our roster can be considered a legit #2. Walter's would be an excellent #3. We need someone who possesses a skill set that makes other teams think twice. Pressure definitely needs to be taken off AJ.

We often become too complacent. Believing that because we did well last year, "as long as you don't touch the offense" we will do well again. Other teams have began to take notice and we need to stay ahead of the curve. While our offense was a top 5 last year, it had the potential to be a top 3, if not the best. We can never stop pressing towards perfection.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Training Camp Fodder

I think we've got our no. 2 already on the roster in Dorin Dickerson, like a couple of you said. He's gotta learn to run routes, but there's a reason they kept this kid off the practice squad. His combine numbers:

6'4"
226lbs
34"arms
9 1/4" hands

4.40 40yd (5th fastest overall at the combine)
6.96 3-cone (3rd among TE's)
4.30 20 yd shuttle
10' 5" broad jump (2nd among all receivers)
FORTY-THREE POINT FIVE INCH VERTICAL LEAP
24 reps on the bench press (4 more than any WR)
and hands like flypaper.

we all remember this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf8pk...eature=related
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Pro Bowler

Then how the heck did Dickerson last all the way to the 7th round? I mean I'm glad we took him, but you gotta wonder.

Now that I think about it, how did Arian Foster make it all the way to free agency in his rookie year?

Makes me think that those who have been hollering for Smithiak's heads don't know what the hell they are talking about. Except that they stunk when picking for the defense, of course. But that wasn't their forte anyway.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Then how the heck did Dickerson last all the way to the 7th round? I mean I'm glad we took him, but you gotta wonder.

Now that I think about it, how did Arian Foster make it all the way to free agency in his rookie year?

Makes me think that those who have been hollering for Smithiak's heads don't know what the hell they are talking about. Except that they stunk when picking for the defense, of course. But that wasn't their forte anyway.
Foster had attitude issues in college. I'm sure you remember that despite Slaton's total ineffectiveness Foster didn't play until the last couple of games his rookie year, and once he played he promptly went crazy.

I don't know whether I know what I'm talking about or not, but I do know that Kubiak and Smith have made many, many glaring mistakes and neither has any business holding his respective position in the NFL. And I will tell you right now that once each is shitcanned from the Texans Kubiak will never get another head coaching job in the league and Smith will never again be a GM in the league. Please don't assume that I believe I'm making some radical pronouncement here. Anyone with a brain that displays measurable activity will know this already.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post

Dickerson made it to the 7th round because he was a 225 lb TE, who looked like sh!t at WR in Mobile during Senior Bowl week. To small for NFL TE and lost out in space on the edge.

I still think his best position, if he has one in the NFL, will be in the slot, where he can be a mismatch.

Foster see Chuck's post.

As for Smithiak, being the guys who draft requires you to be able to build an entire team, not just one side of the ball.

I will give you that most teams have clueless GMs and they can not draft worth a d@mn.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Dickerson made it to the 7th round because he was a 225 lb TE, who looked like sh!t at WR in Mobile during Senior Bowl week. To small for NFL TE and lost out in space on the edge.

I still think his best position, if he has one in the NFL, will be in the slot, where he can be a mismatch.

Foster see Chuck's post.

As for Smithiak, being the guys who draft requires you to be able to build an entire team, not just one side of the ball.

I will give you that most teams have clueless GMs and they can not draft worth a d@mn.
He wasn't a good WR at Mobile because he had no past training as a WR, out in space type guy. Smithiak saw that and had the good sense to go after him.

I agree that Smithiak weren't any good at drafting defensive players. But in this past Draft with Wade Phillips advising, I think we will see, that that side of the ball is now being well served.

If every GM was good at drafting, we would have a league of contenders every year, not just a select few that we do have.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Pro Bowler

I think it's the combination of Kubiak and Smith together that's foobar. I don't like how Smith handles personnel matters for one, and they both seem to be complete imbeciles when it comes to identifying team weaknesses and addressing those weaknesses. If it wasn't for stumbling upon Foster, we'd still have a big questions at RB and they still haven't been unable to fix the secondary - particularly S. It's like they completely ignore that position, which is surprising since Smith was a S. Both of those issues (and others) they inherited when they took over the team 5 years ago. In addition, their coaching staff selections leave much to be desired. I think that's a primary reason why they keep drafting DLs. Their DC hires have been a joke and they can't scheme and/or find a DL coach who can coach these guys up. That's assuming their DL picks have any talent at all...
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Pro Bowler

Still, it was Smithiak who stumbled upon Foster while 31 other teams didn't! Each to his own, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.