IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 11-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis2112 View Post
Kubiak needs to go.

I was at the game and their offensive sets were horrible. Late in the 1st half, they just stand around and let the clock run down to the 2 minute warning when you clearly had more than enough time to run a running play and have the 2 minute warning to stop the clock for you. They had ran the ball down the Colts throat on that drive up till then. Like why not try run a play?
You also run down the clock to keep Manning off the field. Where they screwed up was passing on third down. Should have ran the ball and either get the first and use clock or force the Colts to burn a timeout.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Regular Starter

I agree that we play not to lose and that there are ZERO half time adjustments. And the part that disturbs me the most? No running game still.

Bye Koobs

BTW, if anyone needs to watch the games online for free I'll post the links if you want.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Dennis2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexicanMexican View Post
You also run down the clock to keep Manning off the field. Where they screwed up was passing on third down. Should have ran the ball and either get the first and use clock or force the Colts to burn a timeout.

Running a play to get more yards would have still ran the clock down to the 2 minute warning. Same result in time usage but the actual results differ greatly - one moves you closer to your goal, the other one gives you no actual advantage in yardage.

In a game of football, I will always take as many yards as I can get. Especially if it takes time off of the clock while moving my opponent deeper into his territory, that is a double benefit.

I do agree that pass was ill-advised but you already were resigning yourself the FG attempt by your passive nature around the 2 minute mark
Old 11-29-2009, 05:00 PM
All-Pro

Wow! A lot of heated emotion in here today. I can understand that for the most part. Everyone has visions of Playoffs in their head or at least they did. Now, we are entering the stages of grief. Up to this point, it's been pretty much denial. Today, anger has set in.

This team is getting better. Schaub is much better than Carr ever thought of being and we can win with him. Frank Bush, who many wanted to fire a couple of months ago, myself included, has done a better job.

The offense has not had a real running game to speak of this year ever since Chester Pitts got injured. We didn't have much going on before then. Steve Slaton was a really good player, until he started fumbling for some unknown reason. We had a very good kicker, until he started getting the yips and couldn't make a kick well within his range.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. This is a good team but very unlucky. I'm not quite ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater at this point. Am I dissapointed that we haven't been perfect? Sure. Do I think we have a uncompetitive team like the Browns or Raiders? No. Is Schaub as bad as Jake Delhomme? I don't think so. Delhomme had his team in a SuperBowl, so Schaub isn't the reason we are losing and our season is lost.

We might not make the playoffs this season. 8 - 8 isn't good enough to get this team where we want it to be. However, the continuity and another off-season to build this team might make it something we can all be proud of.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Schaub is much better than Carr ever thought of being and we can win with him
I know I may have been a little critical of Shaub, earlier. It was in the heat of the loss.

However, I still stand by the fact that this guy came out at the half a different person. In the first half when they did that playfake on the goaline to Leach...I pretty much called it in my head and still was faked out. Execution was terrific.

But for some odd reason he came out of the half with half ass playactions and a horrible sense of confidence, even with a lead. When the team needed him to come out and make a play he throws into triple coverage to AJohnson...Wow. Then the game was still salvageable and he telegraphs and out route for a pick 6.

I think that also falls on Kubiak. Wake your damn QB up. His body language lacked confidence. Somebody needs to get in this guys head and motivate him. Obviously sitting back and letting him keep strolling out there pitiful is on the coaching staff. Somebody needs to look like this game was important.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Pro Bowler

I just saw the most disturbing image. Peyton Manning leaving our stadium after coming from behind and beating us and all but knocking us out of playoff contention, HIGH-FIVING OUR FANS ON HIS WAY OUT THE STADIUM!!!! WTF.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Pro Bowler

Please let me qualify this post by saying: I am in no way shape form or fashion a Vince Young fan. I have no ties to him whatsoever. I am also not one of those fans that says that we should've drafted VY. With that said:

Did you just watch Vince Young orchestrate a 99 yard 2 minute drive. This guy had the look of someone who was not going to lose. With all the baggage hanging over his head. He pulled it together created a drive that will probably be shown throughout the week time after time. Against a team we had the same opportunity.

And by the way he threw for almost 400 yards. All I can say is WOW!! Thats what I am looking for out of Shaub. Someone who WILL NOT let his team lose.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Veteran Depth

Quote:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. This is a good team but very unlucky. I'm not quite ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater at this point. Am I dissapointed that we haven't been perfect? Sure. Do I think we have a uncompetitive team like the Browns or Raiders? No. Is Schaub as bad as Jake Delhomme? I don't think so. Delhomme had his team in a SuperBowl, so Schaub isn't the reason we are losing and our season is lost.
Sums up my feelings on this year pretty perfectly.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post
I just saw the most disturbing image. Peyton Manning leaving our stadium after coming from behind and beating us and all but knocking us out of playoff contention, HIGH-FIVING OUR FANS ON HIS WAY OUT THE STADIUM!!!! WTF.
Dude I would high five Peyton Manning in a heartbeat as well.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
This team is getting better.
Nope, no way. This team is regressing.
We took Indy (game before last) and the Titans Monday right to the end of the game, but not today. The final score (by a margin of a TD), understated the margin of victory by Indy.
We get Indy at home without Freeney, without Sanders and this happens ? No man, we're definitely going the wrong way on the basis of todays
performance.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Nope, no way. This team is regressing.
We took Indy (game before last) and the Titans Monday right to the end of the game, but not today. The final score (by a margin of a TD), understated the margin of victory by Indy.
We get Indy at home without Freeney, without Sanders and this happens ? No man, we're definitely going the wrong way on the basis of todays
performance.
I agree. No way this team is improving. Maybe the D has played a little better, but they still can't stop the opposition when they absoultely have to. I don't care about statistics - the O is much worse than it was last year. Not even close.

To whoever said Schuab was a top 5 QB, are you kidding me? Maybe he is statistically, but no way would I take him over:

1. P. Manning
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. BenRoth
5. E. Manning
6. Rivers
7. Palmer
8. Flacco
9. Ryan
10. McNabb

There's probably more (I'd seriously consider throwing VY, Romo and Farve in that list), but that's 10 right there I'd rather have playing for the Texans. Sure, Schaub isn't the only reason they lose and play like wimps when the game is on the line, but he's a big part of it. His boneheaded mistakes and I'm-a-wuss body language frustrate the hell of me. Yeah, he's better than Carr or Jake Delhomme... Big fricken whip! If he can't carry the team, which he obviously can't, well then at least don't make plays that kill them, which he does constantly.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:46 PM
All-Pro

[ Originally Posted by Roy P View Post

QUOTE=dadmg;16576]Sums up my feelings on this year pretty perfectly.[/QUOTE]

I for most part agree with this sentiment, very disappointed as well, maybe today after the 17-0 start, really feel let down and empty.

Today we had more time of possession, more yards passing, more yards rushing, and then more turnovers where it hurt, and many more penalties against which hurt big time. It was good to see no fumbles by RB's and no missed FG by Kicker.

Overall, stats compared to Titans and Jaguars, we have about same record this year, and more points for, and less points against so I think there is an incremental improvement. And if we end up 9-7 or less likely 10-6, we will be improving in the W-L record by end of year.

The penalties and turnovers did us in big time. And this is same two things mostly did us in last week. These bad things led to Indys points, not our players getting beat. I think perhaps the guys are trying to hard to make a big play when all they really need to do is be consistent and not make the mistake. They need to trust their team and be good together. I think these are fixable things by coaches and players we have.

I do see Schaub seeming to sometimes not exude the confidence he should when a single bad thing doesn't go his way. He's got to mature on this. And bad things do demotivate or get guys to not think as they should. The learning to win, be consistent thing. Offense and defense need this consistency, moving to the next play quickly.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Regular Starter

Kudos to my brothers and sisters in pain who were at Reliant. I admit, I was a bit down before I got to the Stadium, but once there I was cranked up and ready to go, and so were the other 71K Texans fans. We were loud and into the game, until the phantom pass interference and the terrible Schaub INT on the force to AJ. Those two plays were a kick in the nuts and deflated me and I am sure many others. 13 days and two painful loses and I am spent, emotional capital is exhausted.

Somehow I expect them to be in the game again this week in the 4th quarter against the Jags and the 20K fans and seats disguised as tarps.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Administrator

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20091130.html

in case anyone wants to read and remember this.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Dennis2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2009/20091130.html

in case anyone wants to read and remember this.
Good article Keith.

Kubiak is not going to be here next year unless the Texans run the table and win-streak thru to the end.

As much as I love the Texans, the confidence level is very low at this time.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 AM
All-Pro

Simmer down now
Peyton Manning said the Texans' defensive backs were celebrating Dunta Robinson's big hit on running back Joseph Addai so much that he went with a quick count and caught them napping on a 31-yard pass to Austin Collie that led to the Colts taking a 21-20 lead with 8:28 left in the game.

“I told them that it was an example of their team and our team at that point,” head coach Gary Kubiak said. “We have a big hit, and we should be excited. That's a great play, but you have to refocus.”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6746449.html
That little incident does illustrate the difference between the Texans and the Colts. And I was I could say Robinson is worthless, but he's far too expensive
to be worthless.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 AM
All-Pro

excellent article Keith. what was Schaub thinking on that pick six?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
excellent article Keith. what was Schaub thinking on that pick six?
I haven't heard any clips of Schaub discussing the throw; I am sure he must have been asked about it, so take this post with the appropriate grain of salt based on that.

Watching it live at the game from the endzone where the throw was made, it looked like an unusually weak throw from him. Either he was tired (the team did abandon the run in the second half) or he second guessed his decision to throw before the ball even left his hand.

I tend to think the latter of course, and for whatever the reason, Schaub's confidence dwindled as the second half progressed up to that point. It is on him, Kubiak, and baby Shan to figure out why it happened. In the past I recall seeing Kubiak just yell like nuts at his QB or look like he really wanted to yell like nuts and think the better of it, i.e. he expects his QB to have flawless decision making abilities.

Which is the goal, however unrealistic, even Peyton throws picks and Tom Brady has off nights where he gets pulled. I think that maybe between Schaub and baby Shan they need to very careful about that sort of sideline pass that close to their own endzone. If Schaub attempts that throw (his arm maybe isn't Elway-strong, but it's usually strong enough), then he can't be second guessing that decision that deep into his own territory.

Couple this with the pick six in Arizona, and Schaub needs to be more effective in these situations. He has overcome the tag that we labeled on him for redzone ineffectiveness (remember that?), so maybe this is another step in his development.

I like Schaub. Always have. I think he must be pretty good to even do the things he does to put the team into these situations... stats don't lie. Schaub has been very productive this season. But there is still another step yet to be taken in his overall development.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 AM
All-Pro

I want to add to Kieth's post, Schaub is doing this behind a flimsy OL. So the fact he has made them appear to be a decent unit should also be a feather in his cap.

Imagine if he had Brady or Peyton time to throw? How many plays have i seen Brady standing flat footed going through his reads?

As for arm strength, Schaub is average, IMO. He is not Flacco, but he can throw the deep out.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
All-Pro

Schaubs play was maddening in the second half, perhaps more so because he was so competant, so effective in the first half.
Besides the interceptions, there was a particular play, a difficult throw for sure, but still a throw he tried to make to DA who was going in the opposite direction parallel to the los. He just threw it into the ground, way short of the wide-open Anderson on which I think was a third-down ?
Schaub just seemed to lose all focus in the last half. Very, very frustrating.