IntheBullseye.com  

Go Back   IntheBullseye.com > Hot Reads ...In the Bullseye > The Texans

Old 09-13-2009, 03:11 PM
All-Pro

Well, that was disappointing and frustrating. The defense was doing a good job against the run until late in the game when Thomas Jones broke 2 big runs. The offense was autrocious in protecting Schaub. The Jets and Rex Ryan know how to put together a basket of blitz packages and we couldn't handle it. We couldn't get Slaton going and Andre Johnson was blanketed by Revis. Kris Jenkins, Bart Scott, and David Harris just ate up our OL. Alex Gibbs should be tearing up some asses right now.

I was happy to see Cushing play. With Barwin, Ryans, and Williams, we now have one more out of 11 who knows how to wrap up and tackle.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:35 PM
All-Pro

Totally unexpected performance by the Texans today ? Not that they lost, but losing like this ? This is really worse than the shellacking we took in the season opener last year in Pittsburgh, which was against a SB-winning QB vs todays game here in Reliant against a rook QB.
How much of a factor was the preparation, the team readiness, the game plans done by the Jets coaching staff vs Kubiaks crew ? Was the personnel of the Jets better, that much better ?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Regular Starter

This Jet's Defense is the best I've seen us face in quite a while, and they are missing two key players Gibbs and Kubiak should have made some adjustments at half time, but we didn't and now Schaub was getting rid of the ball as fast as he could. Give credit to Rex Ryan for saying what he was gonna do and doing it, while the Texans looked helpless not being able to stop it.

Our defense looked good, liked what I saw out of Barwin, Cush, Ryans, Okoye, and of course Mario. Props to our saftey tandem TD return, that was great, especially for rooks( since Barber didn't much at all last season).

Schaub looked dismal at best, but it's not all on him. Chris Myers was getting killed ALL GAME LONG, and Kubiak made zero adjustments( try putting in Caldwell or doubling Jenkins, SOMETHING!!) , not to mention picking up the blitzes( I thought that's why we drafted Hill, to pick up some of the blitzes against 3-4 teams like the Jets???).

Also wondered why we weren't going for an on side kick after our interception TD in the 4th, especially after the great position we got from the chop-block penalty??

I saw the deer in the headlight look again from our coaching staff and it was bad.

Congrats to Sanchez, you looked 10 times more mobile than our QB, who looked like he had fence posts for legs....

We looked atrocious........

I'm tired of yelling at the TV ,

I gotta go before I punch the monitor.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Pro Bowler

I said long ago Kubiak's downfall was going to be his penchant for hiring and putting mediocre/no-name assistant coaches in key positions. We've been seeing it since Day1 of his tenure and it showed in spades today. Baby Shan and Bush were totally overmatched and had no clue what to do. Everyone sucked, but the players were so out of position at times it was ridiculous. Compare that to the Jets who had a man on our WRs @$$ every time they touched the ball (well, what few times Schaub was actually able get it to them). And f'ing Meyers! What a joke!! We might as well of had the head cheerleader out there blocking. Jenkins is a tough assignment, but come on man! The whole OL sucked, but the biggest vacuum came from the C position. You already know all about the suckitude that is our defensive backfield.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:51 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I think Mr. McNair has seen just about enough of Mr. Kubiak. I look for a coaching change before the end of the season. How sad. We could have been good if only he hadn't been so damned conservative. The defense, bad as they were, actually looked better than the so called high powered offense. Just blitz the Texans and you've got a win.
I seriously doubt that McNair would fire Kubiak before the end of the season, but then I dunno for sure ? Afterall that happened in the last year of the Capers regime and him lasting out that horrendous year ? I almost feel sorry for McNair, but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for any billionaire, especially in this economy as they say.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I seriously doubt that McNair would fire Kubiak before the end of the season, but then I dunno for sure ? Afterall that happened in the last year of the Capers regime and him lasting out that horrendous year ? I almost feel sorry for McNair, but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for any billionaire, especially in this economy as they say.
I am not happy right now, but Kubiak (and Smith as far as I'm concerned) should be given a chance to right the ship. If they can't do it, then throw a load of money at Cowher. At least he will build a tough team, but I hate the thought of restarting, again. Kubiak took a bad team and turned it into a mediocre team, perhaps Cowher can take a mediocre team and make it into a good team.

I cannot take this team making seemingly every opposing QB look like Joe Montana.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Veteran Depth

I was highly disappointed by the team.

I was at the game so I don't know how it looked on TV but the Texans were beat constantly on the blitzes. The coverage was awful and the blitzes weren't accomplishing much. I thought at one point it was time to call off the dogs and change up the coverages.

The offensive line just got mauled all game. Couldn't open holes for running game and couldn't pass protect.

It's only one game...it's only one game...serenity now...serenity now...
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Regular Starter

I am beyond disappointed right now. I really want to go on a profanity laced tired but I am emotially spent. We all have waited for 9 months for opening day and we got our asses kicked up and down the field. We had to listen to the Jets fan do their stupid chant in our stadium. Not only does this team drain me of my hard earned money, but now they are messing with my fragile psyche. I might become a recluse this week, only coming out of the house to go buy more Patron. Heck, I can work from the home office and just not deal with anyone all week while I forget about the abomination that I just witnessed. Uggggghhhhhhh.

Maybe I will just try and be a passive fan. Just show up on Sunday and enjoy being able to attend games at a great facility. Forget about draft parties, Fan Fest, open practices.. Why get myself all excited with false hopes for a season, only to be crushed week #1. It is like thinking you are going to score with the hot chick, only to go home by yourself. I am so freakin despondent. No sports talk radio this week. Just happiness this week. Que in sunny 99.1 or a Joel Osteen sermon on how everything is going to be OK.... I am pissed.. So freakin pissed.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:06 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post

Schaub with the floater for the INT. Jets ball at the 11.
He had three untouched blitzers coming right at him and only Steve Slaton to pick which one to slow down. This is after consistently getting hammered full steam by the likes of David Harris, Bart Scott, and Kris Jenkins. I'm really just thankful Schaub completed the game and wasn't carted off in a body bag.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
Andre Johnson was blanketed by Revis
I just think that we were horribly outcoached. Revis was just always in the right position because the rush was NO DOUBT coming every play. So most of the time. Revis just sat on the routes while the safety (whether it be rhodes or leornard) doubled over the top.

Side note: that first screen pass to slaton was the worst executed screen I have ever seen professionally. Bart Scott was drilling slaton before Pitts, Brown, or Myers even knew the pass was made. They looked pathetic.

Did Kyle not know they were gonna blitz? Screens and quick slants should've been what was worked on all week long.

Did they not know Jenkins was 10 times stronger than Myers? Or did they think that Myers had suddenly taken his steroids and was gonna hold his own.

They looked ridiculously lost out there. Boo Kubiak, Kyle, and Bush
Old 09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Pro Bowler

I think I will blow my top if I hear Kubiak this week talking about how the defense did a few good things and how we need to work on our timing, blah, blah, blah...

He needs to come out and say, we got our asses kicked, and we are gonna have to start looking at changing up some lineups, specifically Chris Myers.

Also, I have not finished replaying the game, but did Hill EVER come in the game? I'm sure he would've done better than slaton taking on 250 pound linebackers all day.

That was a disgrace. Now I have to face all these haters tomorrow. Even the 49ers are having a better game against the NFC champions.

At least StL got shut out. We were not the WORST team in the league this week.

We did not score AT ALL on offense. That is an ass kicking.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy P View Post
He had three untouched blitzers coming right at him and only Steve Slaton to pick which one to slow down. This is after consistently getting hammered full steam by the likes of David Harris, Bart Scott, and Kris Jenkins. I'm really just thankful Schaub completed the game and wasn't carted off in a body bag.
You want to 'rassle? Is that it?

The ball *was* a floater - I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I don't care what they are feeding us out of Reliant/Kirby, I don't think the ankle was "fine" and Schaub was not himself today. His accuracy was off and though he's not a big arm guy, there was, IMO, no steam on any lengthy passes. I don't think he was even 80%. One of, if not his worst game as a Texan. We never made it to the redzone much less midfield. Good for him to show he's a gamer but the team takes an "L"... Give him all the time he needs to heal if he needs it - I'd rather see a healthy QB that is zipping the ball around...
Old 09-13-2009, 08:38 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
You want to 'rassle? Is that it?

The ball *was* a floater - I calls 'em like I sees 'em. I don't care what they are feeding us out of Reliant/Kirby, I don't think the ankle was "fine" and Schaub was not himself today. His accuracy was off and though he's not a big arm guy, there was, IMO, no steam on any lengthy passes. I don't think he was even 80%. One of, if not his worst game as a Texan. We never made it to the redzone much less midfield. Good for him to show he's a gamer but the team takes an "L"... Give him all the time he needs to heal if he needs it - I'd rather see a healthy QB that is zipping the ball around...
Afterwards, Gary Kubiak said what everyone at Reliant Stadium could see. Matt Schaub isn't close to being healthy.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/texans/
Old 09-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Regular Starter

Quote:
Afterwards, Gary Kubiak said what everyone at Reliant Stadium could see. Matt Schaub isn't close to being healthy.
Healthy or not, it wouldn't have mattered, he was getting knocked on his a$$ every other down by blitzes or that missing link, Jenkins. Ryan's defensive montage of blitzes were coming every down, and we were obviously ill prepared, even after he said he was bringing the heat every down!!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks for the link, nunusguy. Makes more sense, now....

And ya, Schaub didn't get much help at all...
Old 09-13-2009, 09:46 PM
All-Pro

Yeah, our OL stunk , got run over, no chance of anything else to work. I think coaches should have taken out Schaub once they saw OL was overmatched. Otherwise, worst I've seen the Texans look overall. sad. sad day.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Dennis2112

I am not one to pile on and I don't think its as dire as it may look.

However, it does not take a phi-beta-kappa in football to see that we had breakdowns on almost every play. many times we were having issues at multiple positions on the same play.

Now I believe the defense played decent but they had many missed assignments as well.

this was a complete breakdown on the offensive side of the ball and it caused the few mistakes that the defense made even larger.

Anyways, time to start to focus on the Titans
Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
All-Pro

I guess the Defense did ok, afterall, they only ran for 180 yards, had 480 yards total offense, no sacks, did have one int turnover late, 8 plays over 20 yards and only 24 points. I would give you our special teams looked fairly well other than a few stupid penalties. It will be great to be 0-2 after next week, now I feel better.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Undrafted Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Dennis2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
I guess the Defense did ok, afterall, they only ran for 180 yards, had 480 yards total offense, no sacks, did have one int turnover late, 8 plays over 20 yards and only 24 points. I would give you our special teams looked fairly well other than a few stupid penalties.
Now I have to admit, those are some rough numbers. However, I would submit that many of those "bad" numbers could have been since the defense was on the field nearly ALL game. I really can't blame the defense on this one.

Not saying they are blameless but they were far less the issue on this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe View Post
It will be great to be 0-2 after next week, now I feel better.
As the last part you mentioned, are you implying that you wish them to lose next week or that you feel that we are too poor a team to win?

I want to go on record as saying we will win next week but everyone is entitled to their opinion....but I am sure it will appear that I am going out on a limb and that's ok too...LOL

GO TEXANS!!!!!
ALWAYS!!!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Regular Starter

Some good news?

We rank just above the Panthers and just below the Chiefs in total yards on offense...#25.

On defense, we rank #23.