PDA

View Full Version : DRob has Kubiak's back...

popanot
11-11-2008, 10:55 AM
...Richard Smith's, not so much.

Wow, I can't believe they haven't canned Smith yet - even just to stir things up. I'm not sure what to make of the Smith situation. Either 1)Kubiak is oblivious to the situation, 2)he's afraid to make a tough decision, 3)he has no confidence whatsoever anyone else on his staff can be DC better than Smith, or, 4)all of the above.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6105579.html

painekiller
11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
In the last two weeks the defense has looked real solid for 2 1/2 quarters per week. The players seem to be looking for the oh no moment, and I think the defensive players are tired of the offensive turnovers. As a team the players are still not pointing fingers, which is good.

Now, I listen to Dunta's talk about Kubiak, and get a feeling he his not happy with the defensive coaches. He talks about veteran players not being able to get lined up, and on the same page. He said this has lead to blown plays, big plays.

Is our defense trying to be to smart? In past years our defense started off bad and then the injury bug hits and the play improves, why? Is Richard Smith trying to hard to be called smart coach?

What kind of staff would I want if I was an owner? One like Ravens, Solid OC with proven track record as a OC, bad record as a HC. Solid DC, who understands that he is in a great situation.

I have always liked an attacking defense and I am not impressed by special coverages that no one can figure out how to play in.

I have loved the Ryan twins for some time. But if I was Kubiak, I would call Mike Nolan about become the DC/ HC of Defense, fire Richard Smith, and let everyone know you are playing for your job next year, or coaching for your job next year. It would send a message of change, and Nolan was the DC of the Ravens Super Bowl team.

nunusguy
11-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I really don't mean to be too cynical here, but D-Rob is now in his contract year I believe, so of course he's not gonna go off on Kubiak even if he was so inclined. And I'm a D-Rob fan but I also realize he's no dummy, so he's not going to bite the hand that feeds him.

NBT
11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
In the past 2 weeks the defense has looked real solid for 2 1/2 quarters? PK, are you watching the same games I was? I saw Reeves out of position giving up TD's. I saw the DL getting no penetration I saw a blown coverage on a WR open in the middle of the field. I saw a lack of defensive game planning. And that's only just the defense.

painekiller
11-13-2008, 12:01 AM
In the past 2 weeks the defense has looked real solid for 2 1/2 quarters? PK, are you watching the same games I was? I saw Reeves out of position giving up TD's. I saw the DL getting no penetration I saw a blown coverage on a WR open in the middle of the field. I saw a lack of defensive game planning. And that's only just the defense.

Wow, I saw AD with 2 yds per carry until the end where he had two huge runs.

Last week I saw the team in a typical NFL game coming out of half time.

Now do I think Reeves should be playing, not starting, but Dunta is not ready to start, and Bennett has been playing way to soft. I suggest we see what Molden can do, but for some reason this staff still has not learned. I would rather see Molden get burned and learning from his mistakes, then Petey and Reeves showing me they should not be starters.

Our safeties made a mistake on Sunday, but watch other teams, other then a few top teams every team will have a bad play or two per half.

Now Dunta appears to be calling out the defensive coaches in his "support" quotes of Kubiak, and I have been asking for us to upgrade the DC this off season.

Also something this team lacks and that is the vocal leader that refuses to loose, some one like Ray Lewis, and sad thing is I do not see that guy in this years draft yet.

Carson
11-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Also something this team lacks and that is the vocal leader that refuses to loose, some one like Ray Lewis, and sad thing is I do not see that guy in this years draft yet.

I think that guy might be the nasty MLB out of USC Rey Maualuga. He lays the wood, and would instantly improve our D. The Spikes kid out of Florida is another LB who fits that mold.

painekiller
11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I think that guy might be the nasty MLB out of USC Rey Maualuga. He lays the wood, and would instantly improve our D. The Spikes kid out of Florida is another LB who fits that mold.

Rey Rey has dropped off my list, yes he would appear to be that guy I am talking about, but after watching close I think he is going to end up a 3-4 inside guy, he plays to out of control for me to hand the MLB position to him.

I do not have enough personal time watching Spikes to address him currently.

And let me say it before NBT asks, James Laurinaitis's had two 15 yd personal fouls that hurt his team in the last game I saw him in, not what I am looking for from my senior leader. Smart and tough is my preference.

NBT
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
.......But I think Laurainitis can work out his problems, whereas Rey Rey's is more fundamental to his nature. Why? I don't know, it just is my gut feeling.

If Diles gets well and continues to impress with SLB play, we will be fine there. DeMeco has tailed off at the MLB position, so I think his best move would be to go to WLB, and draft a rookie kickass MLB.

As for the performance of our defense, I think PK and I see things differently, but that's OK too.

NBT
11-19-2008, 12:53 PM
We are of like minds on the attacking type defenses PK. The trouble is ours not only does not attack, but just tries to react, and then takes poor angles, and is constantly out of position. Don't tell me the coaches don't see that on film and go over and over it with the players, or do they even watch film? It sure doesn't seem like it.

KJ3
11-20-2008, 12:06 PM
i just can't find a reason why smith should still be the DC, and have a damn good reason why he should be fired today. if fired today the defense knows they have to play for the next coach, whoever it is if they look bad in games that don't matter they won't even have a shot at games that might next year.

i get the feeling that either smith isn't going to get fired or smith gets replaced with frank bush who i'm not sold on. he better bring a world of change to the D because that's what it needs and since he's already on staff, why the hell is he holding out this change?

i'm with painekiller mike nolan sounds better to me.

NBT
11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Apparantly everyone in Houston is up in arms over the way the defense has been bungling it's way through these first games. They are about to form a vigilante committee to hang Richard Smith if he is not fired. If the Texans wait till the season ends, all they get is a lower draft pick. Is that what they want?

painekiller
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
If the Texans wait till the season ends, all they get is a lower draft pick. Is that what they want?

Yes, as a matter of fact that is what I want, a better pick. Keep Richard Smith !:D

popanot
11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Don't get your hopes up. I think it's pretty apparent Smith isn't going to be fired during the season.