PDA

View Full Version : Your 2008 NFL Draft LIVE Thread! [Day One]

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm trying a new approach this year - I'm going TV-less. I'm just going to follow the draft on the internet so if you hear about a trade or some TV analyst says something incredibly stupid (which reminds me? No Michael Irvin?) then post it here.

Unless the Texans make some moves, today figures to be pretty dull on the local front - a mere hiccup between the Astros' game and the Rockets' game.

Given draft trends, I expect another defensive lineman at #18 but I'm hoping they pull down a LT or a CB instead and if they trade down a little and still get their man - even better.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Vanderbilt OT Chris Williams has been removed from some draft boards due to injury, according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

Maybe he'll slide to the Texans at No. 18 after all. Williams reportedly has a "neck and cervix" injury, although it didn't cost him any time in college.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

I'd bet a guy with a cervix would DEFINITELY drop a player's draft status...

Arky
04-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Yep, could be kinda anti-climatic - tomorrow might be more interesting.

It will be kind of interesting to see where all the other players fall, though......

popanot
04-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I hate Deon Sanders. Just thought I'd let you know...

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 01:59 PM
I like the old format better. Three rounds on the first day. Start at 11 a.m.

Betcha a bunch of west coast weenies whined and cried to the commish about watching the draft during breakfast.

The new "shorter clock" concept stinks too. They could have just cut the first round from 15 to 12 minutes and picked up the pace. I see nothing wrong with the time management for rounds 2-7 the way it was already set.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing Parcells goes offensive line here... :p

Keith
04-26-2008, 02:16 PM
and Bob nails another pick! :D

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 02:21 PM
It's a Long-Long afternoon...

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Our annual game at Oakland just got a lot tougher. :(

TheMatrix31
04-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm glad that this draft is moving swiftly. Maybe we'll actually get to see our boys pick by 1:30pm?

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm glad that this draft is moving swiftly. Maybe we'll actually get to see our boys pick by 1:30pm?

They will....if you're in Hawaii.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 02:51 PM
I thought the AFC was the better conference and, yet, here they are with the first overall pick then picks 4-12. :confused:

Hey! I'm now "training camp fodder", which I guess is better than being a training camp mudder.

popanot
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Dang it! There goes Stewart... Sorry, I just can't take this POS Texans RB situation any longer!!!!

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Jaguars sure gave a lot there. From an AFC South perspective, I like that trade.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Getting down towards our pick (currently at 14).

Will the Texans try to move up?

Mendenhall is still on the board as are all the corners except McKelvin and all the OTs except Long and Clady.

About as we expected...

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Jaguars sure gave a lot there. From an AFC South perspective, I like that trade.

Jags must have thought there was a steep drop off after Harvey and decided they couldn't take the chance of missing on him. It does look like a panic buy.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Dang! There went the guy with the cervix! I was hoping he'd fall to us.

Mendenhall still on the board (likely going here to the Lions). Albert still on the board as are most of the CBs.

If I'm Smith, I'm checking the phone lines for any trade down offers.

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Texans would cream their pants if Albert or DRC were left on the board when they pick.

popanot
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
If the Lions pass on Mendenhall, the only team keeping from him from us is the Cardinals. Oh, that and the Texans' boneheadedness about plugging in crappy RBs.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
The Chefs make a trade up. For whom, I wonder?

They took Prince Albert. Rats!

I don't think we are looking at the other two OTs slated to go high- they are RT material.

So, I think we are left with Mendenhall or a corner.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 03:48 PM
The Cardinals still have Edgerrin so I don't think they are looking at RB and I think the Lions knew this.

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Worst case scenario: Mendenhall and DRC with the next two picks. What, then, for the Texans?

TheMatrix31
04-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Kenny Phillips?

popanot
04-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Ok, Alberts is gone and we're 2 picks away... I can see it now... Mendenhall to AZ and DRC to Detroit. Sigh... :rolleyes:

popanot
04-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Ok, Alberts is gone and we're 2 picks away... I can see it now... Mendenhall to AZ and DRC to Detroit. Sigh... :rolleyes:Or vice-versa. Come on, Texans... Trade with AZ and get Mendenhall!!!!

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
My guess would be Duane Brown if no trade down.

popanot
04-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Frrrrruuuuukkkkkkkkk!!!!

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 03:54 PM
I still want Patrick Willis...

TheMatrix31
04-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Lions pick is in....it's our time! Trade down!

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 03:57 PM
It's not our turn until ESPN goes to commercial....

popanot
04-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Detriot goes T! Mendenhall, PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSE!!!!!

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Still think it's D. Brown.

popanot
04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
They traded w/ Baltimore!!!!???

TheMatrix31
Trade down! This could be Sage.

EndZoneSeats
Trade! Sweet.

HPF Bob
A trade with the Ravens....

So did we get #26?

If so, I'm liking Roy's boy Cason.

TheMatrix31
04-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Any chance we get three picks out of this?!

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Lots of options at 26: Cason, Merling, Brown ...

popanot
04-26-2008, 04:05 PM
What did we get it? I just missed it on NFLN. We got 26 and something else...

TheMatrix31
04-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Read on Texans talk that it's 26, 89, and 173 for our 18th...

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 04:09 PM
That's a good deal considering the guys we really wanted weren't there.

popanot
04-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Read on Texans talk that it's 26, 89, and 173 for our 18th...Not bad. wish we could have gotten a #2 somehow...

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Ravens take Flacco while ESPN's bloggers thought it would be Henne :p

So that means we have two more picks for tomorrow and still have Sage.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:14 PM
In quickie math, that's a trade down of 8 spots for a low third and a fifth.

Edit: It's a third and a sixth (to make up for the Myers pick).

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm betting Mendenhall goes in the next three picks. No way Dallas is going to pass him up.

You don't suppose Kubiak is eyeing Felix Jones, do you?

popanot
04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Lotsa trade action today. I have a feeling the Texans will be moving into the 2nd Rd. one way or another. Maybe even trading #26 and moving down again.

popanot
04-26-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm betting Mendenhall goes in the next three picks. No way Dallas is going to pass him up.Watch frickin Tennessee take him just for spite - even though they don't need him! A-holes!

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't shock me if Seattle swopped in and got him here.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't know which is more surprising... that Sam Baker was chosen at that point in the draft or that the Falcons *traded up* to take Sam Baker at that point in the draft.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Jerah picks the Hog. Mendenhall is STILL on the board.

popanot
04-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Alright, no way Seattle passes up on Mendenhall... I say we package #26 and a #4 to trade up with the Steelers.

Pick is in... I guess that isn't happening.

EDIT: Mendenhall to the Steelres??? Could something be cooking here???

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:45 PM
There he goes to the Steelers. Smart pick by them. Willie Parker got hurt during the playoffs and who knows how well Parker will bounce back.

The Steelers really wanted an OL but I'm sure they were happy to see this fall in their laps.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Time for the Thumbtacks and I'm guessing Limas Sweed here.

Wrong again. RB Chris Johnson.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM
We can now have either Jenkins or Cason here as well as the addition of two draft picks for trading down, me likey.

Of course, Smith and Kubiak never take who I think they will.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 04:57 PM
From ESPN.com's blog...

Is it too late for Al Davis to rescind his selection of Darren McFadden? In a conference call with reports Saturday, McFadden was asked what team he rooted for as a child. His was enough make his new employer lose his lunch.

"I was a Broncos fan," McFadden said.

Thanks for the honesty, Darren. But you may never want to admit that again.

:D:D:D:D:D

Reminds me of when the Broncos drafted Tatum Bell a few years ago and at the presser he said his only demand was that he wanted to wear the same #7 he wore in college.

Um, sorry Tatum. That one's retired...

chuck
04-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, that just blows. The Texans got schooled by Jerry Jones.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Cowboys trade up to get Jenkins. Texans on the clock...

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Good to see you found us, Chuck. ;)

popanot
04-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Kenny Phillips.

chuck
04-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Good to see you found us, Chuck. ;)

The fking pick is in and ESPN goes to a commercial. Glad to know nothing has changed.

You have the right idea about going radio, Bob.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Duane Brown, TE. Somebody earlier in the thread had this one pegged.

What of Owen Daniels?

popanot
04-26-2008, 05:08 PM
The fking pick is in and ESPN goes to a commercial. Glad to know nothing has changed.That's what's great about having both ESPN and NFLN. Chances are they won't both F'up at the same time, and sure enough, ESPN held par and NFLN came through.

chuck
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Duane Brown, TE. Somebody earlier in the thread had this one pegged.

What of Owen Daniels?

LT. This is going to work out fine. Brown's an athletic guy who should excel in pass protection. And, there should be an assload of acceptable defensive backs in the third.

popanot
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Duane Brown, TE. Somebody earlier in the thread had this one pegged.He's a LT.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, he's an OT. When NFL.com first posted it, it said TE - but they've since corrected it.

PFW has Brown ranked the 95th on their draft board. The Sporting News ranks him as a third-round pick with the summary:

"He has first-round talent but teams should be wary of drafting him too high because the on-field play rarely matches his natural ability."

Sounds like another Seth Wand. Well, whatever Texan scouts OL at Virginia Tech must be happy - Frye last year and Brown this year.

I should be happy we at least picked a LT but this does smell like a reach.

And Cason goes right after him.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 05:23 PM
His NFL.com page:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/duane-brown?id=808

He's a converted tight end. Allowed 8-1/2 sacks as LT last year after two years at RT.

The kid will need to be Gibbsed up.

cadams
04-26-2008, 05:25 PM
I know very little about brown, but everything i have read has said this is the guy gibbs wanted. he has the quickness to play the zone, and at least played at a solid program so he has been up against top talent. I am glad they went LT, i had thought they would go jenkins if he were still there, but as fast as the texans made the pick it seems like they had brown targeted the whole time. with the run on LTs i dont know that trading down would have been an option if they really wanted this guy.

i do like getting a couple of extra picks. sure wish they would trade sage and get on or two more.

Vinny
04-26-2008, 05:33 PM
This feels like the year when we traded back and took TJ....not real thrilled to be honest.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 05:38 PM
I agree that this sounds like a Gibbs pick. He's got the athleticism and excels at walling off - which is what zone blocking asks you to do in the running game. On the other hand, he was eaten up by speed rushers and is a holding machine (8-1/2 sacks allowed, 7 holding penalties last year). The scouting report also says he's not a fast learner and won't take the time to do additional strength or film work. He also needs work bending his knees and sliding into space.

It sounds like he's two years away from helping Schaub's blind side. The scouting report said he'll need a line coach that will chew his ass all day but stay very patient as he will progress slowly. The first part sounds like Gibbs. I dunno about the second part.

So, he's going to be Gibbs' special project.

Vinny
04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I agree that this sounds like a Gibbs pick. He's got the athleticism and excels at walling off - which is what zone blocking asks you to do in the running game. On the other hand, he was eaten up by speed rushers and is a holding machine (8-1/2 sacks allowed, 7 holding penalties last year). The scouting report also says he's not a fast learner and won't take the time to do additional strength or film work. He also needs work bending his knees and sliding into space.

It sounds like he's two years away from helping Schaub's blind side. The scouting report said he'll need a line coach that will chew his ass all day but stay very patient as he will progress slowly. The first part sounds like Gibbs. I dunno about the second part.

So, he's going to be Gibbs' special project.

a special project when Mendenhall was sitting there....heck, take a Guard and move Chester to LT if we were gonna do this.

popanot
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Why reach when a talent like Mendenhall is sitting there? Extra picks are good, but come on... Can we finally put the RB position to rest with some young top-rated talent? Hopefully Brown will turn out to be our LT for a long time. He better be or people will start wondering about Kubiak and Smith (enter Sly).

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 05:48 PM
I liked the idea of trading down but I'm not sure about this particular pick. The question I'm sure the Texans were asking themselves was "will he be available by the time our picks come up in the third?" I think they believed he wouldn't although I suspect he would have still been there in the mid-to-late second and could have been had with a trade up of one of our thirds and a second-day pick.

Then you would have had a DB that could have been plugged in to a dicey secondary and still moved up to get Brown more in the range he probably deserved to be selected in.

EndZoneSeats
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
I like the pick a lot. A zone blocker, and we finally took an LT in the first round.

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 06:04 PM
According to McClain, Gibbs liked three tackles - Williams, Albert and Brown.

He said Brown has the quickness and the mean streak (something Wand lacked) that Gibbs is looking for and Brown said he had no problems cut-blocking, something you'll be seeing a lot more of from the Texans this year (so be prepared for those "dirty Texans" comments to soon follow).

texan
04-26-2008, 06:16 PM
This is the guy Gibbs wanted and that's good enough for me. That combined with Smith and Kubiak's draft record, and I have no problem with the pick. A perfect fit at a need position, what's not to like?

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 06:21 PM
The more I've been reading it seems:

1) RB was never a first-round option. As I suspected, the Texans think they can find one in the middle rounds who can do just as well.

2) Brown was the *last* OT they wanted that fit the Gibbs system. All the others were gone before the 18th pick so trading down cost them nothing.

3) CB was their other position of need and they think they can still address that later as well as possibly find an edge rusher.

From that standpoint, choosing Brown makes more sense but obviously the Texans see more in Brown than the scouting reports I've been readin. Their track record the past two years has been pretty decent so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I just don't see Brown being a short-term answer at the LT position.

Salaam would still be the favorite to start the year at LT because he already has ZB training. I guess we'll have to see where the rest fill in after that but I think Brown's going to be spending a lot of weeks on the inactive list this year.

texan
04-26-2008, 06:24 PM
From that standpoint, choosing Brown makes more sense but obviously the Texans see more in Brown than the scouting reports I've been readin.

I'll take Gibb's opinion over the scouting reports posted online.

Arky
04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I believe Brown was the fastest of all the tackles so team speed just got a little better.....

Still, one (college) year as a tackle would suggest that he's going to need lots of coaching. Let's hope he's coachable and can handle Gibbs' whip cracking...

texan
04-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Still, one (college) year as a tackle would suggest that he's going to need lots of coaching. Let's hope he's coachable and can handle Gibbs' whip cracking...

He was a two year starter at RT and then started his senior year at LT.

Arky
04-26-2008, 06:58 PM
He was a two year starter at RT and then started his senior year at LT.

That is correct. I misread his bio thinking he was previously a tight end.

Still, just 1 year as a LT.... No doubt they valued his athleticism over his experience...

Vinny
04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
The Jags just took their second edge rusher....they now have Harvey and Groves

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I couldn't recall the last time there were no Longhorns selected in the first round (probably around 1999 or 2000). Now 2/3rds of the second round have gone by and still no Horns.

I would have thought Sweed, at least, would be gone by now. I also expected somebody to bite on Charles by now, even though I'm not that big on him.

Arky
04-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Sweed to the Steelers.......

HPF Bob
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Dolphins and Packers just chose QBs in the second, diminishing Sage's trade value even further. :(

cadams
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
man, i dont understand everyone being down on the pick of brown. everyone in the league praised the texans when they got gibbs because he is the best of the best OL coaches. i think if he had brown targeted then we should at least wait and see how he turns out. we also got an extra 3rd rounder, which given our depth issues SHOULD be a starter. given the track record of the new regime i feel everyone should give them the benefit of the doubt. our third rounders under kubiak and later smith have been spencer, winston and jacoby. if they get two players of that quality in addition to brown we will be a much improved team. not to mention their success with the 4th round (bennett and daniels). everyone needs to take a step back and hold their opinions until after tomorrow.

as i said earlier, i don't know a lot about brown, but i dont think it is a horrible pick. anyone who is disappointed about not taking a rb needs to wake up. everyone knew they werent taking one in the first round.

nunusguy
04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Anybody got an opinion of John Harris on Radio 1560 here in Houston ?
I was listenting to their Draft show today, and he says he saw Brown in college and went to see him practice this year in Houston at the East-West
college post-season game. He said Brown looked like about a 4th round talent at the E-W game workouts. That's not at all encouraging, but maybe this Harris guy dosen't have a clue about Olinemen ? I sure hope he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Keith
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
In the press conference, Kubiak and Smith said that another team, sounded like the Seahawks, called asking about moving up a couple spots to 26. Obviously, as Smith said, the Texans "respectfully declined".

Shows a couple things, namely that they has Brown 'in the bullseye' (sorry, couldn't resist :p), but that they felt the dropoff from Brown to the next LT on their board was pretty big. Still, turning down the opportunity for another pick, speculated by me to maybe have been around a late 4th, also shows that the Texans might have been a little guilty of being too focused on a single player.

So, good for them to pick the guy they wanted (after a couple others had already been selected), but I wonder how much risk there really was to having Brown slip just a couple more picks. That extra pick sounds tempting to me.

Roy P
04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
The positives: We needed a LT to protect Schaub from Freeney, Van DenBosch, and Harvey. We were able to trade down and get more picks.

The negatives: This was a reach. Antoine Cason was selected right after us. Carl Nicks and Jeremy Zuttah are still on the board when the 3rd round starts tomorrow. What good is it to have Gibbs as a coach if we have to reach on a guy in the 1st round that he thinks he can work with? The selling point on Gibbs was that he could make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Branden Frye was my player to benefit the most out of this.

OldManBernie
04-26-2008, 08:59 PM
...The selling point on Gibbs was that he could make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Branden Frye was my player to benefit the most out of this.

That's one way of looking at it, but the way I see it... Gibbs probably won't be with the Texans for the long term, and we are looking at a 1 or 2 year window where Gibbs can solve the LT issue. If Gibbs feels comfortable with the guy, and thinks he can groom him as our long term LT starter, I am all for it.

nunusguy
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Branden Frye was my player to benefit the most out of this.

Who was of course was this guys teammate last year when he played LT and Brown played on the other side at RT. And Frye was our 5th rounder in 2006 which leads to the obvious conclusion that the price for VA-Tech LTs
is inflating exponentially.

ArlingtonTexan
04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
For most of us, this is too much a trust that we know what we are looking at type pick. At least there was an extra couple of picks added before we seemingly reached (according to the draftsperts). The highest I saw Brown rated outside of "the General's" column was the mid 2nd. Does the mean the the Texans are wrong? No, but really outside of the Ryans and Okoye picks, which ones have really had the agreement of the masses?

Keith
04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
No, but really outside of the Ryans and Okoye picks, which ones have really had the agreement of the masses?Excellent point, but I would add Eric Winston to this list.

Personally, I am pretty excited about this. Draftniks scout for a general, middle-of-the-road system, and the Texans O-line scheme does not fall into this category. So, because of that, I take a lot of this pre-draft internet scouting with a grain of salt.

Everyone- Use your eyes and watch this guy. This is arguably the fastest and most athletic left tackle available in the draft. The Texans finally selected a LT in the first round, and they traded down to get him to boot. Definition of a win-win.

Will he start from Day One? Probably not, but I'm not sure I want any rookie LT protecting Schaub, at least to start the season. Salaam (and Pitts?) can play caretaker for just a little bit longer, maybe even just a half season, as Brown learns the ropes.

texan
04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Draftniks scout for a general, middle-of-the-road system, and the Texans O-line scheme does not fall into this category. So, because of that, I take a lot of this pre-draft internet scouting with a grain of salt.

Exactly, and a lot of the internet sites I've seen have even mentioned that he's perfect for the zone blocking scheme, but still list him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. As I've said before, Gibbs knows this system better than anyone, and Kubiak and Smith have proven they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

RunninRaven
04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Interesting pick. I hope it doesn't take more than a season to get Brown ready to take the reigns. Because I doubt we can get much more than one more season out of Salaam. And if we can't consistently protect Schaub, who knows if what happened to Carr's potential happens to Matt's.

Wolf
04-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Just curious

I know the "draftniks" said Brown was a 2nd 3rd or 4th rounder (and maybe we reached) but I wonder if they knew 7 OTs would go before 26?

positive side from what I have read.. the negatives seem to be coachable (lazy hands, stands too far up etc)

I don't expect him to start so we can groom him,but if he starts that would be a bonus (obviously)
Gibbs coaching him should help

TC with time against Mario should help him too

but I am just blurting out my thoughts with no real evidence

maybe vinny or some of y'all can correct me or give me some thoughts (maybe I am speaking out of my piehole)

OldManBernie
04-27-2008, 12:28 AM

Hmmm... this brings up a good point. I hope Gibbs won't be practicing cut blocking on Mario or the other DLs.

Mike
04-27-2008, 01:04 AM
The Jags just took their second edge rusher....they now have Harvey and Groves

Those guys have serious quicks. Looks like that punk Del Rio is going to try to have his crew knock out QB's.

Mike
04-27-2008, 01:08 AM
That's what's great about having both ESPN and NFLN. Chances are they won't both F'up at the same time, and sure enough, ESPN held par and NFLN came through.

IMO I like the crew on the NFNL much better than the ESPN guys. Early on I switched back and forth, the latter part of the day I stayed exclusively on the NFLN.

bckey
04-27-2008, 01:18 AM
I thought we reached for Brown at the time but after the draft and now that more information has come to light it seems like a good pick for us.

ArlingtonTexan
04-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Just curious

I know the "draftniks" said Brown was a 2nd 3rd or 4th rounder (and maybe we reached) but I wonder if they knew 7 OTs would go before 26?

positive side from what I have read.. the negatives seem to be coachable (lazy hands, stands too far up etc)

I don't expect him to start so we can groom him,but if he starts that would be a bonus (obviously)

maybe vinny or some of y'all can correct me or give me some thoughts (maybe I am speaking out of my piehole)

I saw Va Tech play 3 or 4 times and he did not stand out to me either way. From various sources that I have read he has first round physical talent, but played LT only one year and probably played at level of mid-rounder. This makes him a developmental guy which could mean a couple of years before the Texans actually have any idea of what they have.

Your observation on the early run on OLmen is accuarate imo. The guy rom BC and Sam Backer were also both thought of by the draft community as 2nd rounders, but went in the first also. If the Texans were going address OT, they were going to have to "reach" to do it.

Also, we tend to put too much stock in the general boards that draftniks produce. The draft board of a specific team is generally only about 100-150 players who are very specific to schemes and needs of a particular team. On top of that go figure, all 32 teams don't rate players the same way.

Vinny
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Just curious

he isn't a reach if he plays up to the expectations of the team that picked him. One thing that stands out to me is that he was considered one of the best athletes on his team. You don't find offensive linemen with that tag very often when you consider what kind of athletes the linebackers, corners, and backs are on on every team.

dadmg
04-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Personally, I am pretty excited about this. Draftniks scout for a general, middle-of-the-road system, and the Texans O-line scheme does not fall into this category. So, because of that, I take a lot of this pre-draft internet scouting with a grain of salt.

Everyone- Use your eyes and watch this guy. This is arguably the fastest and most athletic left tackle available in the draft. The Texans finally selected a LT in the first round, and they traded down to get him to boot. Definition of a win-win.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well. Didn't have cable and was away from the internet for the weekend, but when I heard the Texans dealt down to 26 and picked Brown I was definitely alright with it. I think he would have been gone by mid 2nd round at the latest and, with the run on OTs, probably wouldn't have lasted that long. Very good fit. Would've been #2 on my board behind Kenny Phillips, but I think there's just as good a chance I'd have taken Brown.