PDA

View Full Version : Rockets

Nconroe
06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Ok, Rockets in the play for some big trades coming up to draft day on Thursday.

Hope they can get it done.

Nconroe
06-27-2012, 04:15 PM
lots of rumors, but appears two trades done to start things rolling-

1) yesterday - acquired the No. 18 pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves for Chase Budinger and the draft rights to Lior Eliyahu.

2) today - traded the No. 14 pick and Samuel Dalembert to the Milwaukee Bucks for the 12th selection, Shaun Livingston, Jon Leuer and Jon Brockman,

so far so good.

HPF Bob
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM
I think the general plan is to have Dwight Howard be a one-man team while the Rockets pay him their entire salary cap. This will turn into marketing genius as, each night, four lucky fans will be picked out of the crowd to play 48 minutes with Dwight who will post low, take every shot and still complain about not getting the ball enough. But by going 0-82, they'll be in the best position to have the number one pick in 2013 so they can start building their next dynasty.

painekiller
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
I think the general plan is to have Dwight Howard be a one-man team while the Rockets pay him their entire salary cap. This will turn into marketing genius as, each night, four lucky fans will be picked out of the crowd to play 48 minutes with Dwight who will post low, take every shot and still complain about not getting the ball enough. But by going 0-82, they'll be in the best position to have the number one pick in 2013 so they can start building their next dynasty.

This would be a solid plan.

Nconroe
06-28-2012, 09:03 PM
No big trade or center yet.

Seems like 3 reasonable good draft picks.

Still time though.

HPF Bob
06-29-2012, 12:26 PM
The Rockets and Astros have a new TV channel to sell and the best-known face between the two is Carlos Lee. They DESPERATELY need a face to sell which is why the Rockets are after Howard. Two excruciatingly boring franchises with zero star power. Imagine having to go around Texas and Louisiana trying to sell this turkey to cable systems.

painekiller
06-29-2012, 01:03 PM
The Rockets and Astros have a new TV channel to sell and the best-known face between the two is Carlos Lee. They DESPERATELY need a face to sell which is why the Rockets are after Howard. Two excruciatingly boring franchises with zero star power. Imagine having to go around Texas and Louisiana trying to sell this turkey to cable systems.

That is so true. But Les needs to realize there is a reason that teams tank to get better, because there is no other way that works on a regular basis.

3 late lottery picks were not enough to get into the top 5 picks in a weak draft (read no superstar after the 1st pick). If he wants to keep his fan base, they are going to need to blow this up and be bad, and hope the top pick is another Hakeem.

Not a pretty picture for the short term.

Nconroe
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Astros seem to be taking the path you mention of blow it up to get young talent and be plan is be good in 2-4 years, farm system, aren't they?

Rockets will likely get tired of reaching for impossible super star soon, when is the question. It's almost like Mooray has an impossible mission right now. The other team has to want to give up a superstar and then superstar has to agree to come here.

If they can give a few guys away now for future draft picks, they could be there next year, ie. bottom 3 in lottery.

The three guys just drafted, could all be pretty good in 2-3 years, athletic, wingspan, big hands, basketball players, time will tell.

I guess we will see some trades sometime before season starts to try to get a little better, balance of experience, taller.

Nconroe
07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Rockets appear to have now traded Lowry for a draft pick to Toronto, perhaps to get a high lottery pick that way in next year or two.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/07/rockets-to-trade-lowry-to-toronto-for-first-round-pick/

maybe they can trade Kevin Martin and even, although I like him, Scola, to bad teams for likely high draft picks next year from other teams, and maybe their own pick as well will be better if go this route.

Getting the big star(s) in free agency and trades sure isn't working, takes another team and player and just too few superstars to go around right now.

Heck , being optimistic, maybe these young guys just drafted past year or three will play good and be entertaining as well.

HPF Bob
07-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Maybe the name of their new channel will be "Comcast Sucktacular".

Astros! Rockets! C-USA! They could cap it off with a show devoted to Obama's economic advisers.

Nconroe
07-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Another step in direction of blowing things up with sign and trade of Camby to Knicks.

The Rockets get guard Toney Douglas, centers Josh Harrelson and Jerome Jordan and second-round picks in 2014 and 2015.

What next?

Nconroe
07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Dwightmare seems the appropriate term for going after Dwight Howard.

Deciding to amnesty Luis Scola, starting to cross a line what seems good decisions to me right now.

Almost sounds like Rockets passing a whole lot to Orlando to make a very risky move.

Realize Howard is good, but, wow.

HPF Bob
07-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Has to really dent all those "Morey is Genius. Moneyball is God" types who have become more and more quiet since the Ming-McGrady Era crashed and burned. I think somebody (Comcast? Alexander?) is DESPERATE to get a marketable name to put on this new channel since the Astros apparently won't do it. It says something that the only other player Morey has pursued is Jeremy Lin who used to be a scrub with the Rockets before Linsanity started.

The Rockets need a face and they'll worry about whether they can build a contending team later.

popanot
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I can't figure out what the hell they're doing. They're getting rid of all their veteran players (not that that is any big deal since the team has mostly sucked), have like 10 forwards and zero guards now, and now they're trying to insert themselves into any Howard deal out there (and apparently not getting anywhere with any of them). If the plan is to finally suck bad enough to get some high lottery picks, then I get it and it will probably work. Otherwise, I have no idea... The only thing obvious right now is the fact that Howard and/or Orlando wants noting to do with Houston or its player resources.

HPF Bob
07-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Supposedly, the Magic will only trade Howard if they can also unload their worst contracts and get a bunch of draft choices in return so if the deal ever gets done, the Rockets are supposed to get 3-4 other players as well. Then they'll probably have to cut some guys.

What's truly nuts about all this is that Howard is only under contract one year so the Rockets will *then* have to talk Howard into signing an extension instead of going free agent.

I have additional comments here (http://www.astrosdaily.com/column/11207151304fan.html).

Nconroe
07-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Just maybe Linsanity is moving to Houston tonight.

Hopefully we will get to watch some exciting young players start to develop this year and get a high draft pick or two next year.