PDA

View Full Version : F.S. Will Demps seen in Atlanta?

NBT
08-14-2008, 05:09 PM
There is talk (unsubstantiated), that Demps missed practice Monday, so somebody on the Falcons reported that Demps was interviewing with the Falcons? Wonder what that could be about? I thought he was going to be our starting FS this year? Could Kubiak be thinking about using Ferguson and Barber at FS, and trading Demps?

Keith
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, first I heard of it. I would be surprised if it happened I guess.

The Falcons added Erik Coleman to go with SS Lawyer Milloy. Coleman was benched last year by the Jets, so maybe the Falcons aren't too impressed either, but I have no clue.

If you want to pair this rumor up with the other thread speculating we might be in the market for a trade to acquire a RB, then the Falcons have some interesting options.

They just signed Michael Turner in the offseason, and he isn't going anywhere. Backing him up are Jerious Norwood, Jason Snelling, and Thomas Brown. I love me some Norwood, but I would be surprised to see him traded... though crazier things have happened. He has some nice speed and hands.

Snelling, a 7th rounder in 2007, to me hasn't been anything special. BUT and this is a big but... he comes from Virginia, a region where our scouts LOVE to find players (same goes for Norwood and Brown, too, btw).

Brown is a rookie 6th round pick probably fighting hard for a roster spot from Snelling. He's bit undersized (5'9") and I seem to remember him having injury problems, but he was fun to watch in college (Georgia).

Btw, John Lynch signed with the Pats today, so that wouldn't be a reason to move Demps. I guess I'm having a hard time buying into this rumor unless the Falcons are the team that approached the Texans instead of vice versa, assuming there is even a crumb of truth to this at all.

KJ3
08-15-2008, 07:49 AM
could they be trying to pick up a Guard still left over from gibbs' time there?

really, our safeties minus demps are....pretty weak....

jaimeg
08-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Well, first I heard of it. I would be surprised if it happened I guess.

The Falcons added Erik Coleman to go with SS Lawyer Milloy. Coleman was benched last year by the Jets, so maybe the Falcons aren't too impressed either, but I have no clue.

If you want to pair this rumor up with the other thread speculating we might be in the market for a trade to acquire a RB, then the Falcons have some interesting options.

They just signed Michael Turner in the offseason, and he isn't going anywhere. Backing him up are Jerious Norwood, Jason Snelling, and Thomas Brown. I love me some Norwood, but I would be surprised to see him traded... though crazier things have happened. He has some nice speed and hands.

Snelling, a 7th rounder in 2007, to me hasn't been anything special. BUT and this is a big but... he comes from Virginia, a region where our scouts LOVE to find players (same goes for Norwood and Brown, too, btw).

Brown is a rookie 6th round pick probably fighting hard for a roster spot from Snelling. He's bit undersized (5'9") and I seem to remember him having injury problems, but he was fun to watch in college (Georgia).

Btw, John Lynch signed with the Pats today, so that wouldn't be a reason to move Demps. I guess I'm having a hard time buying into this rumor unless the Falcons are the team that approached the Texans instead of vice versa, assuming there is even a crumb of truth to this at all.

I would love me some Norwood also.

Demps was in the practice pictures against the Saints from the Texans website, so he is still with the team as of now.

nero THE zero
08-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I've never heard of a player interviewing with a team prior to a trade. They interview in free agency, and they take physicals with the new team after a trade, but I've never heard of them interviewing before a trade.

papabear
08-15-2008, 09:03 AM
I've never heard of a player interviewing with a team prior to a trade. They interview in free agency, and they take physicals with the new team after a trade, but I've never heard of them interviewing before a trade.

Schaub played golf with Kubiak before the trade. It's not the norm, but it's not that uncommon. It usually happens when there is a pretty good chance that a player is getting traded, and everybody knows it. If the Texans were just kicking things around...Demps wouldn't even know about it. I doubt there is anything to the rumor at all

....I do like Norwood though. Demps was good for us last year, but not as good as some people think IMO. I gave him a break for not wrapping up last year because of the elbow. I saw him do it again against the Broncos. I'm nit-picking, but that's one of those things that really starts to bug me if I see it over and over again.

NBT
08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
If indeed, something comes of this, maybe Demps for Norwood wouldn't be so bad, but Naaah, Atlanta wouldn't do it just for that.

Mike
08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I think you guys are all grasping at straws here. We have the comical writers and 2 local radio stations covering the joint practices. If Demps was not there, we would have heard something.

Our secondary play is substandard, but improved with Demps back there, why in the world would the team look to trade him?

Joshua
08-15-2008, 12:49 PM
We have the comical writers and 2 local radio stations covering the joint practices. If Demps was not there, we would have heard something.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Mike
08-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Shockingly that is not a sarcastic remark. I think the whole thread is ridiculous.

Not to mention Demps is under contract, we could trade him anywhere we wanted. Why would we let him check out the Falcons?

papabear
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't think there is anything to it either. I even looked at some falcons coverage. Nothing about Demps not being there Monday either in the practice reports.

NBT
08-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Mike, that is why I started the thread the way I did, with a question mark. I don't give a heck of a lot of credence to the rumor, because that is all it is.