PDA

View Full Version : Surprising cuts/retirements?

painekiller
07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Darnell Bing DB NYJ 6-2 220 23 USC 4.5 forty drafted 2006
Alfred Fincher LB Det 6-1 238 4.7 Connecticut signed 2005
Jared Zabransky QB Pitts I did not know he was back on a roster.
Teddy Lehman LB cut. by TB, Another college stud that just did not have the athleticism.

And today the Colts and Quinn Pitcock announced he is choosing to retire after one year.

That is just this month.

NBT
08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Wonder why Zabransky didn't resign with us when he had the chance? Didn't he say he was going to try the business world or something?

Darnel Bing really surprises me. We talked about him quite a bit on the old hpf board.

painekiller
08-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Wonder why Zabransky didn't resign with us when he had the chance? Didn't he say he was going to try the business world or something?

Darnel Bing really surprises me. We talked about him quite a bit on the old hpf board.

Z was supposed to be going into the TV or Radio booth for Boise St. or so the report said.

And I remember us talking about Bing, he was a top 100 player in his draft a few years ago, so that shocked me.

NBT
08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Pk, I wanted to meet you and Keith Thursday night at the practice to introduce myself, but I have this sideline business which called me away overnight to Abilene. Maybe next time.

painekiller
08-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Pk, I wanted to meet you and Keith Thursday night at the practice to introduce myself, but I have this sideline business which called me away overnight to Abilene. Maybe next time.

I only met Keith by chance, I just went to a few guys and started talking about the team, turned out it was aj and Keith. I had been sitting 8 feet away from him all night.

Mike
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Zabransky is the classic really good college football player not good enough to take it to the next level. He's a great passer, but a good athlete, tough as nails and will fight. Really, besides him ripping the heart out of the Sooners did anyone really think he would be a QB at the next level before that game?

He reminds me of a situation I had. My last game in HS, I had 2 int's and a TD, and all of a sudden I started getting calls/letters from college recruiters after being ignored most of the year.

Bing - Just because we talked about him does not mean he was good. remeber all the crappy scrubs we thought would be players for the Texans and now are laying bricks somewhere? We have a safety stable full of Bings.

painekiller
08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Bing - Just because we talked about him does not mean he was good. remeber all the crappy scrubs we thought would be players for the Texans and now are laying bricks somewhere? We have a safety stable full of Bings.

Still didn't he get drafted in the 3rd round? Seems early to give up on a 3rd rounder. But it does happen every year.

Mike
08-05-2008, 08:38 AM
This brings a tear to me eye, but we cut Charles Hill the same year we drafted him in the third round. Open cut, insert salt.

barrett
08-05-2008, 11:05 AM
nice try. Zabranski was an undrafted Free Agent. Seems like given up on and out of the league is exactly where everyone thought he'd be.

painekiller
08-05-2008, 11:43 AM
nice try. Zabranski was an undrafted Free Agent. Seems like given up on and out of the league is exactly where everyone thought he'd be.

I was shocked that he had come back to football. Thought he was in the TV booth.

gunn
08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Still didn't he get drafted in the 3rd round? Seems early to give up on a 3rd rounder. But it does happen every year.

I thought Bing went undrafted?

painekiller
08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I thought Bing went undrafted?

I finally looked it up, he was a 4th rounder of the Raiders #101, thehuddlereport had him ranked in the 90's that season, a little highher than he went.

I did not realize he was cut by 3 teams and now has been claimed by his 4th team. Makes you wonder how some guys get jobs and other don't.

Mike
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Stuart Schweiger was also cut recently. I think he was also drafted by the Raiders relatively early (3rd-4th IIRC).

Not surprising per se, but there was Schweiger talk on the board a few years ago.

NBT
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Here's a cut that is not so surprising. The Texans have put FB Jameel Cook on waivers.

Weary to I/R.

Wonder who else will get a visit from the Turk in the next day or so? Salaami to the PUP list?