PDA

View Full Version : The Cap

Bigtinylittle
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
I just happened to find some numbers yesterday that came from HPF and I thought they were pretty interesting. They were from April 2007 and were a projection of what salaries would be this year.

Andre Johnson. 7,012,714
Matt Schaub 6,116,667
Anthony Weaver 5,900,000
Ahman Green 5,425,000
Morlon Greenwood 5,417,000
Chester Pitts 5,080,000
Mike Flanagan 4,000,000 GONE
Mario Williams 3,975,000
Kailee Wong 3,965,000 GONE
Dunta Robinson 2,431,994
Jeb Putzier 2,212,500 GONE
Kevin Walter 2,050,000
Jordan Black 2,050,000 GONE
Shawn Barber 1,883,333 GONE
Sage Rosenfels 1,850,000
Steve McKinney 1,850,000 GONE
Travis Johnson 1,731,667
Kris Brown 1,730,000
Demarcus Faggins 1,700,000
Jason Babin 1,578,670 GONE

It really struck me how many of those guys have been cut. Not only have the Texans gotten better in the last year or so, they are doing it for less money. It is really impressive how they have been able to turn around our cap
problems.

The other thing that struck me is that basically all the guys who are gone were not earning their money. The Texans are not afraid to cut a guy who can still play if he isn't earning his salary, even if it means eating dead money. I looked down the list for other players who are still here that aren't earning their keep. Two names stood out the most. Anthony Weaver and Demarcus Faggins.

Arky
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
IMO, Green and Greenwood could get abducted by aliens and this team wouldn't miss a beat....

kravix
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Andre Johnson. 7,012,714
Matt Schaub 6,116,667
Anthony Weaver 5,900,000
Ahman Green 5,425,000
Morlon Greenwood 5,417,000
Chester Pitts 5,080,000
Mike Flanagan 4,000,000 GONE I agree. He never really played well for us at all.
Mario Williams 3,975,000
Kailee Wong 3,965,000 GONE He retired. I think we would have kept him had he not.
Dunta Robinson 2,431,994
Jeb Putzier 2,212,500 GONE He was made expedable by a younger better Daniels. There just wasnt a spot for him. He was beat out by competition.
Kevin Walter 2,050,000
Jordan Black 2,050,000 GONE This was always a head scratcher to me.
Shawn Barber 1,883,333 GONE He was hurt off the bat and I think that when Thompon and Bently were available it made signing him pointless.
Sage Rosenfels 1,850,000
Steve McKinney 1,850,000 GONE Skinny will always be one of my favorite Texans. The man endured and played his but off for some sorry ass coaching. His injury, age, the scheme, and depth at that position just made him no longer a fit.
Travis Johnson 1,731,667
Kris Brown 1,730,000
Demarcus Faggins 1,700,000
Jason Babin 1,578,670 GONE He got screwed. They tried to force him into a role he didnt fit into.

It really struck me how many of those guys have been cut. Not only have the Texans gotten better in the last year or so, they are doing it for less money. It is really impressive how they have been able to turn around our cap
problems.

The other thing that struck me is that basically all the guys who are gone were not earning their money. The Texans are not afraid to cut a guy who can still play if he isn't earning his salary, even if it means eating dead money. I looked down the list for other players who are still here that aren't earning their keep. Two names stood out the most. Anthony Weaver and Demarcus Faggins.

You are right though. They arent afraid to release players and find better players.

I think Weaver is overpaid, but I dont think he is underperfomring what he was advertised as, we just overpaid for that skill set. Look at his stats. Besides the last 2 years with the injuries he was pretty consitent before that both on the run and the rush. I hope he plays better than he did in 03.

Faggins... Well what is the going rate for a decent nickle back these days? CB's are high priced to begin with.

Keith
07-31-2008, 12:35 PM
I just happened to find some numbers yesterday that came from HPF and I thought they were pretty interesting. They were from April 2007 and were a projection of what salaries would be this year.

HPF will live forever in cache and wayback machines. I'm guessing all of us know already, but for accuracy of the figures, you'll be better served by the cap #s currently available here (http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap.html).

It really struck me how many of those guys have been cut. Not only have the Texans gotten better in the last year or so, they are doing it for less money. It is really impressive how they have been able to turn around our cap problems.

Yes, that is one conclusion, but another is that the Texans have been better able to add valuable players for a wage at or below their contributions. Some of that is because they are building from the ground up with youth, which is cheaper, but also because they are supplementing with affordable vets, too.

Green and Reeves are really the only recent exceptions to that in the last two years that come to mind. And Andre Davis earned his new contract, but now he'll have to live up to it.

I looked down the list for other players who are still here that aren't earning their keep. Two names stood out the most. Anthony Weaver and Demarcus Faggins.

Faggins was paid a contract three or four years ago as a developing nickel corner, and while he won't be the nickelback this year, he isn't grossly overpaid. He is playing out the final year of that deal, while he may not have been a bargain by any stretch, I think it's been fair. Not many guys play out their contracts anymore.

Consider instead that Reeves, who is getting WAY more this year (more than double cap-wise at least and far more pocketbook-wise), might not even be the nickel once Dunta is healthy and Antwaun Molden inevitably passes him on the depth chart. (Bennett of couse is already ahead of Reeves as it is.)

Reeves will need to make an IMMEDITATE impact in the first month of the season. I intend to watch him and Molden closely at tonight's practice. Having only been to one so far, I haven't seen enough of either yet other than to say that Molden's raw talent is much better than Reeves'. The best thing Reeves has going for him now is that he is a veteran and the job is his to lose, but I'm wondering how much longer until his cap figure will look pretty freaking huge to us.

On a somewhat related note, Reeves' value to the team will play an interesting role in Dunta's new contract, something I think is one of the most intriguing front office storylines this year.

papabear
07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
On a somewhat related note, Reeves' value to the team will play an interesting role in Dunta's new contract, something I think is one of the most intriguing front office storylines this year.

To me this could end up being the DOMINANT Texans story line next offseason. It was going to be interesting to see how the team handled him. Good player, Fan favorite, but would the Texans have wanted to hand him Nate Clements money before the injury? How he comes back from the injury could make this very Dicey.