PDA

View Full Version : Devastating hits enforcement

Nconroe
10-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Anybody got a comment on this hot topic.

Some thoughts from Texans players -
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Players-chime-in-on-helmet-to-helmet-hits/ba569ac1-7481-48e6-9c1f-0d19fc55800c

I think the goal of discouraging a hit that might cause a catostrophic injury, be life threatening , cause a concussion, or career ending is good.

How it is implemented, perhaps we will see if it hits mark without taking out the good aggressive hard play.

For sure the guys are getting bigger, stronger and there are some bad hits seems almost every weekend, hits where people gather around and pray.

And guys need to think sensibly out there, Suspension means the whole team will pay for the problem which should get their attention.

Ok, NFL office just released a good video explaining what hits are not allowed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b811df/article/nfls-video-message-to-players-you-are-on-notice-about-hits?module=HP_headlines

HPF Bob
10-22-2010, 09:03 AM
What I worry about is uneven enforcement. How many times have we seen a team knock the snot out of Schaub way after the play or way away from the ball (Drayton Florence, Jared Allen) and the official called nothing but the Texans did some pat-a-cake on their quarterback at a critical time and was flagged for roughing?

My guess is that the Steelers and Ravens of the world will still get away with dirty helmet-to-helmet hits like they do now but let Pollard make a good, clean but jarring hit on a defender and we'll get flagged just when we made a critical stop to end a drive.

It's just like when new laws are passed, it seems like the crooks still get away with whatever they're doing but an honest person will get arrested for crossing the street at the wrong spot.

I'm all for safety but the answer is better equipment and nobody's talking about that.

painekiller
10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm all for safety but the answer is better equipment and nobody's talking about that.

I've been saying that for years. Why haven't they looked at Kevlar or some other lighter, stronger fiber, like carbon fiber?

BigBull
10-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm just waiting for them to change their name from the NFL to the NFFL or National Flag Football League.

Nconroe
10-23-2010, 07:20 PM
and even three Texans got caught on this a little, didn't think these were severe, but I guess they mean to stop this stuff.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7259546.html

barrett
10-23-2010, 11:58 PM
I agree that proper enforcement will be tough. As of right now half of the hits from Sunday that drew fines and new rules weren't even called penalties in the games. So lets start with 15 yard penalties when a guy murders someone.

As for possible suspensions I am all for it. These guys are exponentially bigger and faster than they ever were before. So whether the players have a choice or not to be out there, I have no desire to see guys missile themselves into a WR top of the helmet first.

And I love all the people complaining about how the league is going too soft. It's real easy to talk about how much tougher the game was "back when", when you only had to be hit by 220 lb lineman and the safeties ran the 40 in 5 flat in the "iron man glory days." These guys today are deadly weapons, and I'd rather see a few extra flags and occasional suspension than watch bad tackling and ESPN highlights result in some guy dying on the field.

NBT
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
i agree that something should be done about the illegal hits, but you know the league is going to enforce it based on who the big dogs are, and they are mostly on the e.coast except for the Cowboys, who are yankees anyway.