PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Screens & Rumors

Roy P
04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
There is a lot of questions going into the draft with only 5 days to go. Big Ben is walking on thin ice in Pittsburgh (they already gave away Santonio Holmes) so could Roethlisberger end up in Buffalo for a 3rd round pick?

Big Shanny has gotten McNabb but could he be ready to shed Haynesworth and convert to a 3-4 defense? The Lions could give Washington their #66 to unite Jim Schwartz and fat Albert, thus freeing up Detroit to pass on Suh and draft Okung to protect Stafford.

Cleveland and Holmgren want to play the WCO, and Jason Campbell is available to compete with DelHomme. On the other hand, the Panthers have no QB and no draft picks, so perhaps a package could be put together to bring Campbell to Carolina.

My favorite thought is for the Chiefs to trade down out of #5 so the Bills can select OT Trent Williams and replace Jason Peters. The Chiefs have been paired with Bryan Bulaga at #5 because of Pioli's relationship with Ferentz. Bulaga is a RT maybe just a LG and too much $$$ goes to the #5 pick for a OG. The Senior Bowl showed how good Brandan Graham can be, and #9 seems about right for Pioli to get an OLB for the 3-4 to play opposite of Tamba Hali. KC could use extra draft picks to acquire Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett (instead of drafting Eric Berry, another en vogue pick) and Mount Cody to plug in the middle.

Roy P
04-17-2010, 03:16 PM
1. StL - QB Sam Bradford: As hard as they try, they can't find any takers.

2. Det - OT Russell Okung: They steal Haynesworth and protect Stafford

3. Den - DT Ndamukong Suh: The Broncos move up to 3 and get the best player in the draft. Josh McDaniels needs the positive public relations. Tampa Bay needs the extra picks and get out of the top 10.

4. Was - WR Dez Bryant: McNabb needs to be able to throw the ball to somebody. Shanny wanted to trade down but couldn't find any takers.

5 Buf - OT Trent Williams: KC gets many offers to land McCoy and Williams, and Buf wins out.

6. Sea - DT Gerald McCoy: Pete Carroll just couldn't pass up on taking this guy. He'll find a NEED at #14.

7. Cle - RB C.J. Spiller: They just aren't that high on Clausen and hope to find their QB later, perhaps Jason Campbell.

8. Phi - S Eric Berry: The Eagles put together a bundle to get the FS they covet. Hard to believe Andy Reid doesn't take a 'big ugly' but the defense suffered without Jim Johnson and Brian Dawkins. Al Davis may still be able to draft Bruce Campbell at #24.

9. KC - OLB Brandon Graham: Now KC has some pass rush. Pioli isn't fond of drafting one-year wonders (Pierre-Paul).

10. NYG - DT Dan Williams: Jerry Reese is afraid that the Bucs may snag his next DT difference maker after passing on Suh. Jax moves down to #15 and picks up #46 and give back #74.

11. TB - CB Joe Haden: The Bucs have Roy Miller at DT and he did well. They are also happy that Haden bombed the Combine so they could select him here and have Ronde Barber show him the ropes.

12. Mia - OG Brian Bulaga: Regardless of how many OLB's Parcells has drafted, he won't pass on this guy.

13. SF - FS Earl Thomas: They improve the Secondary

14. Sea - DE Derrick Morgan: They lost Tapp and Keirney.

15. Jax - DE Everson Griffen: DelRio is a Trojan and they need pass-rush

16. Tenn - FS Taylor Mays: This is my favorite pick. Fisher is from USC, Mays tore up the Combine, they need help at S, and if he fails, he can play LB.

17. SF - ILB Rolando McClain: The 49ers have other needs, but Singletary can't help but contemplate Willis & McClain in the middle of that defense. Takeo Spikes can now retire.

18. Pitt - QB Jimmy Claussen: Does anybody want Big Ben, operators are standing by.

19. Atl - LB Sean Weatherspoon: Now Atlanta has an identity on defense.

20. Hou - ?????

HPF Bob
04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Okay, Roy. I'll take the bait here. If the Texans are sitting at #20 with those 19 players off the board, I would:

1) look at offers to trade down a little.

2) Decide between Kyle Wilson, Ryan Mathews and Mike Iupati. I could live with any of the three.

Since Smith/Kubiak never take who I want them to, I'd guess they'll take some DL from the ACC. It'll definitely be somebody from the ACC where we all know the country's best football is played :rolleyes:

nunusguy
04-17-2010, 08:51 PM
2) Decide between Kyle Wilson, Ryan Mathews and Mike Iupati. I could live with any of the three.

Honestly I think Zane Beadles (love that name, always makes me think of "Beatle Juice") would be about as effective for us at guard as Iupati because he's so mobile and really fits the ZB system we operate, something I don't think Iupati would fit into very well. He's a classic mauler, look for the Steelers to maybe draft him for their power oriented blocking schemes.

painekiller
04-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Okay, Roy. I'll take the bait here. If the Texans are sitting at #20 with those 19 players off the board, I would:

Since Smith/Kubiak never take who I want them to, I'd guess they'll take some DL from the ACC. It'll definitely be somebody from the ACC where we all know the country's best football is played :rolleyes:

Don't rule out Devin McCourty, or Maurkice Pouncey.

Roy P
04-17-2010, 11:13 PM

Honestly, I started this thread more to take a look at all the trades that are being talked about and how it could effect the draft. Having the idea that the Browns could move up to take Bradford float in my head and I just can't see it. So, I started getting creative as to what might transpire on Thursday.

We do all these mocks and see time after time a team and player linked. Currently, the Chiefs and Bulaga have been grating on my nerves. I just can't see it. Then, when the draft is happening live and a team selects player X, we smack our foreheads and say, "Gee, that makes perfect sense!"

As, for what would I do as the Texans' GM, trading down looks good. Otherwise, I'm taking Kyle Wilson.

Blitzwood
04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Honestly, I started this thread more to take a look at all the trades that are being talked about and how it could effect the draft. Having the idea that the Browns could move up to take Bradford float in my head and I just can't see it. So, I started getting creative as to what might transpire on Thursday.

We do all these mocks and see time after time a team and player linked. Currently, the Chiefs and Bulaga have been grating on my nerves. I just can't see it. Then, when the draft is happening live and a team selects player X, we smack our foreheads and say, "Gee, that makes perfect sense!"

As, for what would I do as the Texans' GM, trading down looks good. Otherwise, I'm taking Kyle Wilson.

Nice work Roy.

For some reason I think Kubiak will take someone unexpected like J. Best or trade down. They usually show little interest in players they covet prior to the draft.

Roy P
04-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Generally they select a player that I had on my board, and then removed because I soured on the the idea. This year, that would be Taylor Mays or Jared Odrick.

Roy P
04-19-2010, 02:43 PM
3. Den - DT Ndamukong Suh: The Broncos move up to 3 and get the best player in the draft. Josh McDaniels needs the positive public relations. Tampa Bay needs the extra picks and get out of the top 10.

Well, another domino has fallen. Scheffler, Ernie Simms, and a 5th round pick have been swapped between the Lions, Eagles, and Broncos. This should change things up a little. :D